cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Super wifi booster with Alexa. Can I change wake word?

CRAZZIEE
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Is there a way to change the Wake Word for Alexa on this?

The option does not appear in the Device Settings like it does for on my Echo Dot.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the WiFi booster has Alexa built into it!

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think the WiFi booster has Alexa built into it!

Keith, Alexa is in the booster… see here on VF's broadband page:  https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/  (scroll down until immediately above “Compare our Broadband Plans”.

"Exclusive to Vodafone! Our new Pro Broadband plans with Alexa Built-in allow you to run your broadband and devices, set up the Dinnertime Skill, and ask Alexa anything – all through our new Super WiFi Plus Booster. "

I don’t know the answer to the wake word question though and I still have no idea what an Alexa enabled booster (and its concomitant cost) does that a  £20 Dot doesn’t do? 

Hi. So if you have weak Wi-Fi somewhere your home you plug in the Super wifi booster  between that area and the Router. It then picks up your Router's Wi-Fi signal and boosts it so it increases the Wi-Fi in the home.

It also basically has an Echo Dot built in. That's the bit I want to change the wake word on.

HappyNomad

@CRAZZIEE wrote:

Hi. So if you have weak Wi-Fi somewhere your home you plug in the Super wifi booster  between that area and the Router. It then picks up your Router's Wi-Fi signal and boosts it so it increases the Wi-Fi in the home.

It also basically has an Echo Dot built in. That's the bit I want to change the wake word on.

Yeah… I know what the booster does.  The bit I don’t get is what the benefit paying a monthly premium for what appears to be a less than fully featured built in Alexa is over having the booster without Alexa for less money and a £20 (one off cost) Dot.

For both 'New Vodafone Pro' and 'New Vodafone Pro Xtra' packages, the Alexa add on is shown as an optional upgrade.  

Super WiFi Plus with Alexa Built-in & Guarantee*

-

New Vodafone Pro

available to upgrade

New Vodafone Pro Extra
available to upgrade

I was offered Pro Superfast 2 for £25 per month for 24 months (£3 more than I'm currently paying) in a Black Friday email.

It came with the 4G Dongle and Super wifi booster with Alexa free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a different extender than we've previously seen!  I'd have thought that you could change the Alexa voice and name in the Alexa app, rather than in the Vodafone app!

It also seems a strange choice that you get Alexa on the extender, seems that could lead to inconvenient placement!

HappyNomad

@CRAZZIEE wrote:

Is there a way to change the Wake Word for Alexa on this?

The option does not appear in the Device Settings like it does for on my Echo Dot.

You might try changing the wake word by voice…

"The easiest way to make the change is to use voice control to speak to your Echo speaker or smart  display you’d like to alter directly. Simply saying “change your wake word” after waking the device will trigger it to ask you to select from its five available wake words, including the new “Ziggy” option."

I have no idea as to whether or not it works - found it here…. 
https://www.reviewed.com/smarthome/features/how-to-enable-alexas-new-voice-and-wake-word-ziggy 

I just tried the idea of speaking to it.  The response was "sorry, changing the wake word is not supported on this device". 

It seems the Alexa app does not recognise it as a full alexa type evice. It seems to think it is merely a speaker.  Maybe eventually the Alexa app will improve.