Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ultra Hub - No boost function?

SuperWeeble
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 

Recently upgraded to Pro 2 Ultra Hub with Super Wi-Fi with 6E 6Ghz support.  All working well but I've noticed I've lost the Boost function I had on my old Vodafone hub. The app allowed me to 'boost' a device to ensure priority over other traffic. I used this for my XBOX. This option is no longer available on the router admin web page or in the app. 

When I first received my Ultra hub there was a 'Smart' menu which allowed profiles  to be selected. One of those was 'gaming'. Following an update this menu was removed. I'm assuming the boost and smart menus were Vodafones version of 'Quality of Service' settings. Does anyone know how to get this setting back or if VF plan to release an update with it back in?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Andy

Hi @SuperWeeble 👋 I have spoken to our Wi-Fi Xperts team, they have confirmed that there is no longer a boost function available on the Ultra Hub, I apologise we don't currently have any news on anything that may be replacing this. If any new features are added, the best place to check will be our help section here

Hi,

Thanks for reply but disappointing news. Did they say anything about the ‘Smart’ menu that disappeared following a firmware update?

Cheers

Cynric
16: Advanced member

.@SuperWeeble

Elsewhere in this forum other people have noticed differences in the browser interface depending on which browser is being used. You may have to try 4 or 5 browsers.

CrimsonLiar

The boost function is usually a form o QoS.  It prioritises one device at the expense of others.  Nice idea if you are on FTTC and have a comparatively slow speed, but once you get FTTP it should be redundant.

Jayach

The "boost" function is only available via the app, and is time limited.

Personally I don't believe it does anything, and is just a "gimmick".

They say "Device Boost lets you prioritise one device to get a faster WiFi signal. For example, if you need a faster connection to watch a movie on your phone while someone else is just sending emails."

Do you really believe someone using email could slow down streaming?

Sounds like "smoke and mirrors" to me.

What is the Vodafone Broadband Boost feature and how do I manage it?

CrimsonLiar

Depending on the chipset it can actually built onto the silicon, but it'd normally prioritise a LAN port of one of the WiFi radios and not an individual device.

It’s not a gimmick, QOS works. If my XBOX is doing a game update, e.g. 50Gb that is going to flood my WiFi for 2 hours which would make streaming from my TV worse. On the flip side if my laptop is doing an update (e.g 5Gb) that is also going to disrupt things while gaming on my XBOX for half an hour. I only have 60Mbs connection so can’t download multi gig updates in minutes. 

Jayach

@SuperWeeble wrote:

It’s not a gimmick, QOS works.  

"Boost" is not QOS, however if you found it worked for you, I'm glad.

So have you upgraded to Pro II on a 60Mbs FTTC connection?

I have it so I can connect my XBOX on 6E. Rock solid WiFi connection without any ping spikes that I see on 2.4/5Ghz. Did not want to run cables through the house and powerline adapter no good with my old electrical wiring, too much packet loss. 

Boost is effectively quality of service for one device. When a device is prioritised the router it will drop packets of other devices when bandwidth is contended.