Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock the the vodafone router under the new law

gipjon
16: Advanced member

Can a member of the vodafone admin team please let us know how we can unlock the vodafone router so we can use it again under the new law right to repair 

20 REPLIES 20

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @gipjon 👋 Are you looking to unlock one of our mobile broadband routers, or is this concerning a fixed line router?

Jayach

This is the  Home broadband & landline forum, what do you think?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm just checking the post had been added to the correct board @Jayach, as we offer both mobile and fixed line services and the Community contains boards on both subjects.

If you can confirm which type of router you're looking to unlock @gipjon, we'll be more than happy to help with this 😊

gipjon

The THG3000G 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Perfect @gipjon, thanks! This isn't something that's been passed out to us just yet. But I've contacted the team that deals with these kind of issues and as soon as I've got an update, I'll let you know 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

So far as I'm aware the new law requires the provision of physical spare parts.  I'm not aware of any components used in Technicolor manufactured routers that cannot be sourced.  So it might mean that Technicolor/Vodafone could have to supply a preprogrammed EPROM if requested, but that would be about the extent of it.  If you think about it, that's as far as it's going to go, as copyright licenses apply to much of the content of those EPROMs.  So there would be no requirement to have the routers unlocked, or to provide source code!

*Again, I'm well prepared to be wrong, but this is my reading of this!

Hi

""or to provide source code!""

You would be amazed at just how quick the source code is available from the German arm of VodaFone.

If only the UK was as capable.

The link is from 2020 and must be a dead duck by now, however the invitation to download and share is a VodaFone first in this forum?

vbnt-j_vox3uk_19.2.203_1_20200124.tar.bz2208 MB0dc9c16e581a5622b18275a1b30596d58801a0763f6338f56947f31fef9d5b3

Please click on the following link to download the attachments: https://justshare.vodafone.com/message/cGoMa08MueRZt6vQRBKqEr

This email or download link can be forwarded to anyone.

The attachments are available until: Freitag, 31 Juli.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@gipjon wrote:

Can a member of the vodafone admin team please let us know how we can unlock the vodafone router so we can use it again under the new law right to repair 

At a guess, (and it is just a guess), ownership of an ISP modem/router, will never actually pass to the service user and thus, the right to repair will remain wholly and exclusively with the supplying ISP.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

HappyNomad is correct, in the current user agreement - section 3.7 (it wasn't always so), ownership of the equipment remains with Vodafone!