Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using a 3rd Party Router (ASUS) with Ultrafast

lawtonma
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Help!

I current use an ASUS DSL-AX82U and an ASUS Mesh Wifi Network on Vodafone DSL Broadband - which works great. We are being upgraded (today) to UltraFast and I wondered if anyone had successfully used a 3rd party router (ideally ASUS ) to connect. 

In my mind there are 2 options.

1. Leave the Vodafone hub as the primary connection, and turn the ASUS into an Ethernet WAN-connected device so have both.

2. Replace the Vodafone Hub with the ASUS by connecting the WAN port to the OpenReach OTP

Eitherway it would be good to know of any settings/advice from someone who has done it before!

17 REPLIES 17

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

You'll still need to keep the Vodafone router, just in case you have any need to call tech support.  Also in order to use the landline, you'd need extra equipment and badger support for the settings!

Frankly, it wouldn't be an issue here, never use the landline, everything goes through the mobile!

marcu5Hunter
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Don’t suppose you could share the setting you had for broadband as I can’t seem to get an IP address I get disconnected 

OK, here's what you need to do:
Go to your router's setting, go to WAN settings, then on the "Internet Connection" tab click on Edit PVC icon (pencil in a circle).
On that page, look for "WAN Connection Type" and select PPPoE.
Also change VLAN ID to 101.
Then scroll down to "Account Settings" section and just type in your user name and password (you will need to call VODAFONE technical support to obtain those details).
Your username should be something like this: dslxxxxxxxxx@broadband.vodafone.co.uk
where xxxxxxxxx is a specific number for each account.

Did that but still struggling please see below it would really help me as I’ve spent Hours

18F38087-66CE-4AAF-8FD8-D421990263ED.jpeg

9200319B-FADA-4D9E-9BC0-6C20597B304E.jpeg

949F19A7-03E6-477E-8D1D-6160A6E2D5E5.jpeg

Jayach

@marcu5Hunter 

Your pictures haven't been moderated yet.

Are you on Openreach or CityFibre? The VLAN for CityFibre is 911, and for Openreach is often not required.

Vodafone often give out the wrong PPPoE credentials. Use live chat and ask them to copy and paste them.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Thx I’ve asked them again

im just on broadband and I’ve linked the ASUS router wan socket to their wan socket on their router

its killing me

You cannot setup the Vodafone router as a modem!  Even if you could WAN port to WAN port would be wrong!

If you use a cable from a LAN port on the VF router to the WAN port on the Asus router, you can then either set up the Asus as an access point, or you can "double NAT" it by setting the WAN connection type to Automatic IP, in neither case do you need the username and password.

AP is preferred, Double NAT works for some, but not for others.  If you really need the full potential from your ASUS router and you are on VDSL/FTTC then you'd need a modem, and there's a touch more setting up required!

Jayach

@marcu5Hunter wrote:

Thx I’ve asked them again

im just on broadband and I’ve linked the ASUS router wan socket to their wan socket on their router

You have just connected an input socket to another input socket. It will never work.

The PPPoE details are so you can replace the Vodafone router with the ASUS.

How do you think the broadband signal will get to either router in that configuration?