Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone ADSL router with Nighthawk netgear R700p - how to connect and setup

jamiepryer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

hey all,

ive been looking at the community and found some useful info, however not quite what i need, unless im missing something.

I have a vodafone router, with an ADSL connection.

I have a netgear nighthawk R7000p. which i want to use as my main router and NOT vodafone.

Question1:

The nighthawk only has Cat5/RJ45 inputs, however my supply is ADSL. So i assume i need to just use my vodafone router still, just to take the ADSL connection and then pass-though directly to the R700p with a RJ45 connection? 

Question2:

Assuming the above is correct, what is the guide to setting this up on my vodafone router to just be a pass-thought? i know i need to contact support to get my password for the netgear router to use, but i still dont understand what setting to your on the vodafone end so its not being a "router"

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before we go any further.  If you are on Vodafones Superfast 1 or 2, then your connection is (FTTC Fibre to the Cabiner) VDSL and not ADSL.

To have the R7000 fully incharge of your local network you have to abandon the VF modem/router ENTIRELY.  The R7000 though does not have an inbuilt VDSL modem, so you'll need to get your hands on a seperate VDSL modem.

Huawei HG612:  Easily found on ebay, but you do ideally want the latest version, and may (or may not) need to unlock it).  Cheap (from £4 upwards) but there is no SNR adjustment, so you have to wait for it to negotiate it's SNR with the cabinet over a period of possibly a couple of weeks!

Netgear DM200: This should be the device of choice.  It's an okay price, and the UI is nice and clean, but there's a few people on here who have found the setup wizard doesn't work so well as a manual set up.  *Has to be set up as a modem/bridge NOT as a router.

Draytek Vigor 130:  The most expensive option, the UI is really old fashioned, and if buying on ebay you need to ensure that you get the UK version!  That said it despite being a VDSL2 Annex A device, on a noisy line it's probably the device that will get the highest throughput!

Whether set up as a modem or bridge the settings that you need to make on a VDSL modem are pretty minimal, with all the important stuff really taking place on the (R7000) router.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are looking for coverage of 60ft x 60ft x a couple of floors you'll only cover that with a single device, if you can place it centrally and you have almost all partition walls!  I would seriously be looking at a mesh network and a separate modem - however, using a modem is going to require that you get your broadband username and password which are not the same as used for your account!

If you are not overly technical then if I were in your position I'd probably go with Google Nest WiFi, the downsides of which are that if you have a number of wired devices you would also need to get a simple network switch due to the limited number of ports, and that while new they are WiFi5 and not WiFi6!

Generally I'm a bit loath to recommend specific routers as I am biased, if money were no object I'd probably be looking at the Asus Zen WiFi AX!

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@Anonymous wrote:

I would seriously be looking at a mesh network and a separate modem - however, using a modem is going to require that you get your broadband username and password which are not the same as used for your account!

If you are not overly technical then if I were in your position I'd probably go with Google Nest WiFi, the downsides of which are that if you have a number of wired devices you would also need to get a simple network switch due to the limited number of ports, and that while new they are WiFi5 and not WiFi6!

Generally I'm a bit loath to recommend specific routers as I am biased, if money were no object I'd probably be looking at the Asus Zen WiFi AX!

Having recently gone mesh... I can only endorse your comment above based on my exerience to date.

I opted for the Draytek V130 modem with a Linksys MR8300 tri-band mesh router and three dual band Velop nodes. (bought before the router but I may replace them with tri-band nodes at a later date).  The router is to all intents and purposes, a tri-band Velop Node in a traditional 4 port, 4 aerial router case.

• 8 port unmanaged switch (router, Hue, Hive, Laptop, Freesat box, Printer & 2 spare ports) and RPI (PiHole) connected directly to router
  • 1st Node connected to router via ethernet cable (through a thick wifi defeating stone wall) and the main TV connectect to that node via ethernet cable 
  • Other 2 nodes wifi only in opposite diagonal corners upstairs
  • Total of thirty devices, wired and wifi with usually 18 - 20 connected more or less full time.

Linksys is perhaps not the best kit (since Belkin bought it from Cisco) but I am fairly happy with it all.  Set up was more or less out of the box for the modem and the router and even easier for the nodes.  Uptime is as yet unbroken and for the first time ever, netflix streams perfectly to the furthest corner of the house.  The app router UI is a bit crabby but all things considered I am not unhappy.   I have learned to not look at the app too often and I won't be going back to the ISP provided router any time soon.

Thanks both

Was looking at Linksys ASUS ZenWiFi AX (X6600). But it seems that even this one needs to connect to Vodafone existing router via LAN cable. Not sure if I can configue one of units to configure as WAN gateway modem (to replace Vodafone existing modem). I already have setup details from Vodafone. But need to select correct device