Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone home fibre broadband VPN setting

seblb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Help! I have been trying to get this to work and given up becuase Vodafone are hiding important connection details. The config I want use is the L2TP Server VPN on the Vodafine Connect Broadband Router. The settings in the router are simple enough (cool! 🐵 but getting a client to connect to it is impossible (unless it is another Vodafone HHG2500 Broadband router). So here is what I have done:

1) Setup the router's L2TP Server VPN configuration (set shared key, user and password, etc)

2) Configured and OSx and iOS client to connect on L2TP (settings quite straight forward) but both fail. The only debug details I was able to get was from the OSX connection that failed on "L2TP sent SCCRQ" - I also have the wireshark dumps from the client and router.

3) Setup other VPN clients, but no success

I spoke to the vodafone live chat team (not a great experience, so unless there is an expert there I can chat to, please do not direct me back there Vodafone). The experience was as follows (I have the chat transcript if you want it):

1) Told "since few days we are facing issues with the application, However our engineers are working to fix this"

- I told them that "VPN" was router hardware related and not a "service" (sigh)

2) I was then directed to change my wifi setting

- I told them the wifi had nothing to do with VPN (sigh)

3) I was then told I had to have a business account for the VPN to work

- I told them that if I plugged in my draytek router, the VPN worked so it had nothing to do with that. This was the final sitcking point and they would not budge. Form my point of view this was the only thing they could use to get rid of me, as they didnt know what they were talking about.

Since then I have discovered if you have 2 people on Vodafone with their routers (both my father in law and I are on vodafone). One setup and L2TP server and the other L2TP client. They happily connect!

Therefore, the statement that VPN is business only is also not true. Therefore there is some odd setting that a L2TP client needs to do to connect to a Vodafone HHG2500. What is this? Please can someone from Vodafone provide a faultless configuration for a client so the rest of the community can do the rest for you?

The reason I am not able to use my Vodafone router is becuase I use a draytek so I can VPN into my office (also draytek). This additional VPN config is to connect to my father in laws home to assist on all things IT. I therefore need some form of VPN client that can connect to a Vodafone Router running the L2TP VPN server. :o(

84 REPLIES 84

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Gigabox is the name Vodafone.ie give to the THG3000 router. As far as I can ascertain it has the same firmware so should be identical.

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/vodafone/gigabox-windows-10/specifications/

The device you are referring to is, I believe, the GigaCube.

GigaCube – the alternative to home broadband from Vodafone

Cynric

The Gigabox help page shows the ability to change Wi-Fi channel number, which we ordinary folks do not have.

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/vodafone/gigabox-windows-10/basic-use/change-wi-fi-hotspot-channel/

Jayach

Yes, but I think that has just not been updated, we used to have it.

When I was conversing on here with an Irish Vodafone user I'm sure he confirmed he couldn't get those settings either.

Edit: If you take a look at this post, you can see he has the same firmware as us, and can't change the channel.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Gigabox-file-and-printer-sharing-problems/m-...

The firmware in those help pages is XS_3.4.14.06

Jayach

@Cynric

If you're interested I've attached a Gigabox user guide I found, but it is from 2018 and the firmware is obviously an early one.

What do you need the VPN for?

If it's your work then get them to hire someone to set it up.

If it's for privacy then use the software based VPN or buy your own compatible router.

Vodafone home broadband just supply broadband. They don't set up VPNs for you or your business.

Hi how do you connect Nord VPN to Vodafone Router please?

Jayach

@majb wrote:

Hi how do you connect Nord VPN to Vodafone Router please?

See my reply to your other post.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Nord-VPN-and-connection-to-VF-Router/m-p/267055...

Why does everything have to be in pm? 

you don't post personal info in the thread but you can post the solutions in the thread so that it helps everyone who has this problem, Surely this will make more sense rather than keep inundating support with the same problem from different people? 

Cynric

@alrightson wrote:

I think that the answer boils down to cost. The social media team are probably cost effective for Vodafone. Whether they are cost effective for the customer is another matter entirely.

I refuse to use social media particularly as the questions I was asked on the time I diduse it were so intrusive it felt like identity theft was a risk.

Jayach

@alrightson wrote:

you don't post personal info in the thread but you can post the solutions in the thread so that it helps everyone who has this problem,

Personally I think that there are very few problems solved via the social media channels.

For instance this thread is about VPN's and the likelihood of the social media team having an answer is remote at the best.

I also think it should be up to the person posing the query to update us on the resolution, but very few do. To me that is just good forum etiquette.