Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi Issue - Old Laptop Not Working On New Ultra Hub

WinTroutman
4: Newbie

Hi everyone, 

I just went live with fibre 500 package and Ultra Hub, Apple TV, etc.  Great package.  Except, an older laptop cannot connect by wifi.  Dont get further than’NO INTERNET, SECURED’ and globe instead of a wifi symbol.  I spent too long on a live chat (after finally making it past TOBi, the worst Ai ever), but the tech finally Sid that the problem was in my device, not the network.

This worked just fine with the old BT fibre, so it’s frustrating. The laptop must be about six years old, running an i7 and 8 bg ram.   Anyone have any ideas?  

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lee_Paul

Hi WinTroutman, I was having issues with my older laptop connecting to my router. I ordered the following tiny USB adaptor for £8.49 and now get full speed through the 5GHZ frequency set in the router. Got to be worth a try for a small price :). 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266215689082?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4vIJooT5QTC&s...

View solution in original position

36 REPLIES 36

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@WinTroutman wrote:
and globe instead of a wifi symbol.

That bit is interesting. The only time I see that is when I have the VPN on, so are you running a VPN or other security software that may be taking over the network connection? Is this possibly an ex-corporate device?

No, but during part of the pandemic I used it for work and had some sort of VPN/Direct Connection which they’re since discontinued.  I deleted those connections a few days ago, with no effect.  I had WARP on the computer, but it wasn’t operating and I removed that, too. 

Jayach

@WinTroutman wrote:

No, but during part of the pandemic I used it for work and had some sort of VPN/Direct Connection which they’re since discontinued.  I deleted those connections a few days ago, with no effect.  I had WARP on the computer, but it wasn’t operating and I removed that, too. 

I suspect something is leftover from one or both of those that is blocking your internet.

Did you try running the Windows Network troubleshooter?

Fix Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows - Microsoft Support

Thanks.

I ran Troubleshooter, which claims that everything is running well on the laptop, asserting the problem lies with the Hub.  And when. I look at the connection on the Hub it seems to be good, but I get no joy.  

Jayach

Tell me, are you able to connect to the hub from the  laqotop? http://192.168.1.1/

If you can, open a cmd prompt and type ping 1.1.1.1

See if you get a response.

C:\Users\Jayach>ping 1.1.1.1

Pinging 1.1.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 8ms

Jayach

And, when you tried connecting to a hotspot on the phone, did you get internet access?

WinTroutman

I thought of changing the channels, but I don’t see how.  I’ve checked in the Vodafone app and ny logging onto the router.  Have I missed the option?