cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

I've been using the 2.4ghz only mode of the THG3000. After zero support on these forums I broke out an old ddwrt AP I had in the cupboard thinking I could disable WiFi on the THG3000/VOX.

Do you think the UI on routers web config page would let me... Apparently not....

So we are forced to use WiFi even if we don't want it enabled?

First time I have been unable to disable WiFi on a ISPs provided router.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

That's odd. On my THG3000 in expert mode I have all Wi-Fi OFF. Downstream I have a second router which provides Wi-Fi on the channels I need and wired connections as well. I have too much overlap with neighbours to allow the THG3000 to auto-assign channels, it just doesn't work. We seem to be in a constant "arm race" with each new router having stronger and stronger signals.

Please don't let this be a sign that the next THG3000 firmware update will leave the Wi-Fi always on.

I did find a workaround, enable both 2.4 and 5GHz channels and then I could disable WiFi.

What was strange was I then had a hidden 5GHz network show up in inSSIDer which I have never seen before. I haven't yet investigated the source but my trust in the Vodafone router had been severely reduced after this whole experience.

Jayach

I can't find anyway to disable just the 5Ghz. (mind you why would you want to?)

@jayach I have about 20 wired devices, 5 wireless smart speakers (over 3 APs) and 3 tablets/phones. I have zero neighbors within 50 metres so get little congestion on 2.4GHz.

I have 2 devices that do not have 5GHz transceivers (printer and camera). It simplifies my deployment, it means 802.11r can work better and I have less headache in determining which channel is causing any issues. Effectively halves my maintenance of the WiFi estate.

it also means I can really dial down the transmit power reducing my attack vectors and also improving the transfer from one AP to another.

There a frequency drop down on my firmware that selects which bands are enabled.

Jayach

@mark_newbs wrote:

There a frequency drop down on my firmware that selects which bands are enabled.

So there is. I have my bands split (The 5Ghz works so much better for me and I want those devices that can to be definitely using it), and then there is no such drop down. I have loads of 2.4Ghz broadcasts around me, but all the other 5Ghz's are using channel 36 and my router is using 100 so I have it all to myself.

As a quick update from my earlier post, using the older app ( https://vodafone-broadband.en.aptoide.com/app )  just found it auto updated, searched google to find a checkbox to turn off auto update, fingers crossed.

Just as another datapoint: My router decided to shift around its 5GHz channel assignment this morning, causing the firestick to fall off the Internet. Just used the older Android app to reset back to something the firestick can actually see.

I don't see any channel selection options in my routers config.

Hi - this thread helped me solve my similar, related problem, thanks.

Remotely imposed channel switching (and the inability to override it) meant that some of my devices couldn't see my network. Changing the channels they are set to receive on fixed it: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Square-router-network-is-suddenly-invisible-...

I hope this can help anyone else with a similar issue.

Jayach

@mark_newbs wrote:

thinking I could disable WiFi on the THG3000/VOX.

Do you think the UI on routers web config page would let me... Apparently not....

It's the first toggle on the General Wi-Fi Settings page on my THG3000.

What firmware do you have? Mine is 19.2.0203-3261005