main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

SOLVED
View solved solution
Adster
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bigad1992
2: Seeker

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

View more options
154 REPLIES 154
bigad1992

You're not alone, mine has done the same thing. It's annoying as my Amazon Fire Tablet can't locate and connect to the 5Ghz half of my Wi-Fi if it's channel is above a certain number (and by default Vodafone uses 100 for the 5Ghz half). I don't know why it's gone but they need to add channel selection back in.

View more options
Adster

Thanks for your reply, that suggests they removed manual channel selection in a firmware update.

My laptop now only connects at 86mbit, whereas when I was able to select my preferred channel I connected at 433mbit.

My gaming pc was able to connect at 1300mbit, now also 86mbit on 5ghz.....

I really do not want to have to spend £200 on a 3rd party modem/router. I was quite happy with the THG3000.

Can we have a firmware update to allow wireless channel selection please?

View more options
HappyNomad
13: Advanced Member

Even though I run my THG300 with WiFi switched off I had to go and have a look...  

With WiFi switched back on, I still have manual channel selection for both available to me in [Expert Mode]/[WiFi]/[WiFi Settings].

Whilst I don't need VF WiFi, I'll watch out for that changing but a better firmware update would be the ability to switch the thing into bridge mode to enable proper mesh networking.

View more options
Adster

Is your firmware 19.2.0203-3261005?

View more options

Attachments

HappyNomad

Firmware-Version:           19.2.0203-3261005

struggling to add a screen shot of WiFi settings page.

Adster

Thanks I saw your pic, that was how mine looked liked before I did a factory reset.

To add the pic, copy the link from the attachment, then in the post editor, click on insert/edit image button, then paste the attachment link as the source.

Your pic,

View more options
bigad1992

So if HappyNomad has the same firmware version as you and I, then why can't we change the channel any more? Sure would be nice to get an offical answer from Vodafone (FYI, my firware version is 19.2.0203-3261005 too) or a solution so we can fix it.

View more options
HappyNomad

From a user perspective, it certainly seems a pointless modification to the firmware.  An unintended consequence of another update item perhaps?  Moderator/Champion comment is noticeably absent from this discussion.

I retired my THG300 yesterday in favour of seperate modem & router.  All worked more or less out of the box and guess what... I can change channels (along with most other things at will.  :Winking_smiley:

View more options
bigad1992

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

View more options
flykthewiz

Thanks but I've totally failed to get the app working.

It shows a list of router pictures, I tap on the one I have and it's says pairing and then goes back to the list of routers.

View more options
Tash

@flykthewiz Are you able to do this through your computer instead? Please also let me know if uninstalling and reinstalling your Vodafone Broadband app lets you access this.

View more options
flykthewiz

Hi, The app is working now and I can change it. I have been trying the app for a year and this is the first time it has worked.

I still have no access to it on the web interface, but i guess that is a firmware update needed. Why it was removed is anybodys guess.

View more options
Flying-Chips
4: Newbie

Now appears they’ve removed the option from the Vodafone app now too.

View more options
itoney

Yes the latest version of the app no longer has the ability to change channels.  I too can not change any channels on the router.  I spend hours on the phone with Vodafone.   They got me to do a factory reset.  This made the channels options appear again, but then the router blocked all Internet access.  Eventually the Internet starting working again,  but the channel selection has disappeared again.  Very frustrating and Vodafone just won't acknowledge this is happening.   Im still waiting for a second line call for an open SR ticket and has been more than 72 hours now.  The customer service is terrible. especially when they have somebody who calls you to tell you someone will call you soon.  Is anybody from Vodafone monitoring this?

View more options
MarkD

Have now received a call about the ticket @itoney ? If you're still waiting for a call, our Social Media team will be able to provide you with an update. Find out how to contact the team on Twitter or Facebook here.

View more options
itoney

vodafone finally called me Friday21st Aug afternoon. the level of customer service has been terrible.  nothing has been resolved still.  I am on the phone again as today I have sync speeds of 46mb but Internet speed of 1mb.  I am connected via WiFi and cable and its exactly the same.  40mins on phone and still not connected to an operator.   

View more options
nandroidia

So now that this has also been removed from the app, does anyone know if Vodafone can change a channel for us at their end?  I just don't understand what's going on as I have one device on 5ghz that will only work with a specific channel, so if ever my settings are lost I'm stuffed!

UPDATE - I spoke to Vodafone today 24th of August and asked them why it has disappeared.  I was told that due to coronavirus and more people working from home, they have increased their bandwidth to cope with this and removed the setting.  However, once things settle down very soon the option to change the Wi-fi channel will be reinstated.  How true this is remains to be seen.

View more options
Evie

I'm glad you received that call @itoney, however it's disappointing to hear you feel this way and have had this experience so far.

We can check your account and monitor any fault tickets through our social media platforms - So if you would like us to see what's happening your speeds don't hesitate to drop us a message 

View more options
itoney

Hi  but I think what you have been told is an absolutely rubbish excuse.   Uninstall the new app and search for the app via a different app store.  Search

Vodafone Broadband 4.1.0 APK

You should be able to find the previous version.   Install and you will have channel access.   

View more options