Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

advice setting up a mesh system (TP Link Deco M4) with my router

wilro
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi everybody.  I have lots of black spots around my home using the vodafone-supplied THG3000 router with a Superfast 2 connection. Where there is internet, it is great. It's just a ##~## trying to  work in my office (well, spare bedroom).

My issue is with the device I've purchased to try and resolve this. After a poor experience with a simple extender, I thought I'd try my hand at a mesh system. I opted for a TP Link Deco M3 Whole Home WiFi system, which (supposedly!) simply plugs into one's router, and should then create a new wifi network that can be extended with the satellite devices.

It arrived today, so I duly:

- connected it to the LAN port in the back of the router (I've also tried other LAN ports, and even a WAN port in one desperate attempt; I did look at trying to plug it straight into the BT OpenReach port in my wall, but the Deco mesh only has ethernet ports, and the included two-ended ethernet cable doesn't fit into the wall socket.

- contacted vodafone over the online chat on my vodafone broadband app for the details the Deco app requires. This included a username ending [at]broadband.vodafone.co.uk and a password. I received the same details from two agents, so am confident this must be correct. I also needed to know what kind of internet I have. The options were Dynamic IP, PPPoE, Static IP, L2TP, PPTP or DS-Lite. I was informed by two separate agents that mine is PPPoE. There is also a box to check called IPTV/VLAN. Both agents told me I need to select this. This means I have to provide an Internet VLAN ID and an Internet VLAN Priority. One of them said the former should be "either 108 or 109". Another said it should be 191. Folks on these forums have mooted 911 for other purposes like using a third-party router for vodafone broadband. One of the agents said the priority should be 'medium', the other 'medium or 5'. It appears the priority has to be numeric and between 0-7. Elsewhere on this forum, people have done things like change their routers with priority set at 0.

Armed with all of this information, and having entered it in various combinations, I've not yet managed to get the internet running on the mesh network. I don't know whether it's because one or more of these settings isn't correct, but this message is the last ditch attempt of mine after spending approximately 8 hours resetting and re-entering information.

I never post on forums like this but have benefited from the tech support of generous tech sages over the years, but would be so appreciative if somebody could help me before I return it to Currys and move my office into my living room next to the router!

Thanks for any help!

26 REPLIES 26

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

If you had the VM modem/router setup in true modem/bridge mode with an M5 performing as a router, I'd get your username and details (on CityFibre using VLAN 911) and connect that M5 directly to the ONT.  If you just had the master M5 working as an Access point then I'd use the VF router and do the same - whichever is easiest for you!

Jayach

@Rog_84 wrote:

If I'm with City Fibre / Vodafone, is it better to connect the M5 to the Vodafone router or the City Fibre box on the wall with an Ethernet.

100%, it's better to connect the Mesh to the ONT.

But it depends on exactly what you want from the connection.

If you need/want easy access to the phone service, then you will need the Vodafone router. Other than that, dump it.

You also haven't said what Vodafone router you have. If you have the newer Ultra router, it may be different

So is the below correct?

Current setup, works but keep getting Wi-Fi drops and random internet outages

FTTP - ONT > THG3000g > VF provided Wi-Fi points.

I want to remove the THG3000g as trying to do anything with it (like renaming a device) takes like 5-10mins.

I did hastily purchase the Nest Wi-Fi Pro, which is being returned it worked as Wi-Fi points but this creates a problem of a 2nd network and double NAT.

I have a Home Assistant running on Synology NAS wired to THG3000g but it couldn't find the devices on the other mesh network. 

So If I get the Deco M4 (or XE75 for 6E) can I just change the config to the below or will I need to get something for between them?

FTTP - ONT > Deco XX 

You just need a Mesh system that can work as a router replacement.  As you are running Home Assistant on a NAS, there is absolutely no way you want to be running the M4.  Everyone I know who runs Home Assistant has tons of devices, and hence really needs a more capable WiFi solution than the M4.

*If you have lots of devices on 2.4GHz I'd be looking at a router with 4x4 capabilities and the ability to handle plenty of clients.  I might even be looking at Mikrotik or (the dreaded) pFsense options for the router with APs/Mesh!

Thanks for info, I managed to find my linksys ea9500 and got that currently installed and working. Not sure but I think this is a 4x4.

Currently I only have 38 devices connected. 5 of those are direct ethernet and 23 are 2.4ghz, 10 on 5ghz 

I'd still like to upgrade to the deco xe75 for the 6E. Would the 2x2 mesh be enough for those devices? It's mostly lights that are connected.

Okay, so we are kind of at the why are you looking to upgrade at the moment.  What improved performance are you expecting/needing?  Provided its ethernet bridge doesn't fail, the Linksys ea9500 is one of the best routers of its generation - but the most recent firmware is about 5 years old and may well have some security flaws.

What speeds are you looking for, where, and are you experiencing slowdowns, dropouts, etc?

No doubt it is a good router, but It is tempermental, I had a few issues with initial set up where it just wouldn't boot and had to keep power cycling.  

At the moment I know stuff near the front of my house in the kitchen and ring door bell are struggling with signal. Where as the router is at the back of my house - in the "computer room". Also athe the bottom of my garden is a shed that pretty much has no signal either. 

Other than the signal reach I can't say much else as it only been running since this morning.

If I get the xe75 3 mesh (providing its compatible - still unlear on that) 

I'd be able to put 1 in the hallway to reach the front of the house 1 in the computer room next to the ONT. and 1 positioned somewhere for the garden/shed. 

It might be worthwhile just using a WiFi analyser app to see what the signal strengths are in different places around the house, as the router not being able to cope with the number of devices can look very similar to the most distant devices having low signal.

Placement of Mesh units is usually going to be as far away from the primary device as you can get them while still having them work at their maximum data rates.  So if you are placing a unit to get a usable signal in the garden shed you may have to compromise or even place a unit at the rear and then run a cable to the shed - potentially even PoE.

So far as I can tell the Deco XE75 has both router and AP modes, so should be compatible.

*I'm assuming this is a reasonably large, solidly built house for the three-unit set to be even necessary.

**I think the M4 though would have been a waste of time and money!

@CrimsonLiar@Cynric 

Seems the signal strength is good to the front door at least for my phone, The ring app is saying the doorbell signal is 'poor' RSSI 74. which is draining the battery and causing slow notifications. this applies to other devices in the kitchen area too slow responsiveness. 

I looked at the Wi-Fi analyser, I can see none of the networks (of the 3 in range) are overlapping in the 2.4ghz, only in the 5ghz - no one has 6ghz, I also know my neighbours are not tech savvy, they are in their 50-s to 60s

I may go with the 2 pack Deco XE75 and ethernet off of the 2nd deco.

Thanks for the help :Smiling:

Cynric

@xXREDXIIIXx  In the 5GHz band there are channel numbers above 48 that nobody seems to use, so there's plenty of free space there.