Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

A few questions about a new PAYG SIM which has not been activated

cbmvic20
3: Seeker

Hi,

I have a few questions about a new BVB SIM that I have been using for incoming calls only. It's never been topped up so I don't know if this means it has been activated or not but I can receive calls on it just fine.

1. Can I request a PAC for the PAYG number even though it's never been topped up? The reception is pretty bad hence why I never bothered topping up but the number has already been shared so I want to keep it when transferring to another network.

2. The SIM is a BVB offering 7GB for £10? If the phone has to be topped up first to request a PAC, can I just top it up with the minimum £5 and will this switch it to the PAYG 1 tariff?

The Vodafone website says that you'll be automatically switched to the PAYG 1 tariff if the BVB is not renewed but doesn't mention anything about just starting on PAYG 1 from the beginning without using BVB tariff. Again, I use it predominantly for incoming calls (or did until the reception started deteriorating) so don't need calls, texts and data as I can just use WIfi.

3. Looking at the the process to obtain a PAC for a PAYG number, the Vodafone website says this can be requested by texting PAC and a PIN to 65075. What is this PIN and how do I set it up? I don't have an account so I have tried chat but the person on the chat kept asking me to setup an account. Seems pointless to setup an account to just request a PAC.

Source: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/my-vodafone-account/keep-my-number#3

Regards,

Vic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cbmvic20

Well it was much easier that I thought in the end. I didn't need to topup, I simply texted PAC to 65075 and got the code immediately which I used to transfer the number across to a different network. No PIN needed.

From this, what I understand is that if you get a new Vodafone PAYG SIM, it doesn't first need toppping up to activate if you just want to transfer the number across to a different network.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Unless things have changed, as far as is known you only need to top up the minimum amount to receive the PAC the minimum top up is now £10.00 online £5.00 if you have he My Vodafone Application.  Without setting up an account, you won't be able text for the PAC and will need to call Vodafone.

The best thing to do is to call Vodafone, explain about the reception issue and even though you have not topped they may be able to issue the PAC.

cbmvic20

Thanks, will post back here with the outcome after contacting Vodafone.

I can see that £5 topup vouchers are also available online from lots of places just not from Vodafone. I think you can also buy at PayPoint outlets for the same amount (I recall buying one some years back).

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/vodafone is just one of many examples.

cbmvic20

Well it was much easier that I thought in the end. I didn't need to topup, I simply texted PAC to 65075 and got the code immediately which I used to transfer the number across to a different network. No PIN needed.

From this, what I understand is that if you get a new Vodafone PAYG SIM, it doesn't first need toppping up to activate if you just want to transfer the number across to a different network.