Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Activating Sim Card

blamkin57
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, I am in the USA right now and have purchased a Vodaphone 5GB sim card because we are leaving for Europe in a week. I know how to insert the sim card once we arrive, but not sure what steps I'll need to take to get my account going i.e. what will my phone number be, how do I pay for extra gigs on one of your plans, etc.?  I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+.   Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @blamkin57 

First please make sure your phone is unlocked to all networks to it'll accept the Vodafone UK Payg sim card.

Your phone should have the bands and frequencies to work on the network.

When you insert the sim card when you arrive you should then see welcome texts from Vodafone and the set up texts so mobile Internet will work.

If you don't get a set up text then text WEB to 40127.

Apn settings will then be sent.

Apn settings for Vodafone Payg can also be manually added if required.

As Vodafone will only accept uk debit cards / credit cards to top up you'll need to pick up a Vodafone Top Up voucher which are available from Vodafone Shops , Gas Stations and lots of convenience stores which are available in various demonations.

Info on topping up is available in > How-can-I-top-up-my-phone-or-another-number  and my-vodafone-account/pay-as-you-go-top-up. 

Vodafone also has an app to use.

my-vodafone-app. 

The Vodafone Mobile Number should be on the card the sim card is attached to but you can find out the number also by dialing Use your Vodafone mobile to call *#100# free.

What-s-my-phone-number. 

If you need to add more data then Vodafone has the Vodafone Extras options.

The amount of Gb's and costs are all in this link > https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/extras 

Enjoy your trip. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Wow!  Thanks so much for your prompt and detailed reply.  Very much appreciated. 

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @blamkin57 

The staff in Uk Vodafone Highstreet Stores will be only too happy to help you with the correct Payg tariff and allowamces and Sim cards if necessary.

They'll look at this before you purchase any top ups and apply that to a sim card.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

You are also welcome for my reply @blamkin57 

It certainly sounds like you may have purchased data only SIM for use in a data device and you may have purchased the SIM from an online third party site, Vodafone also don't sell a 5GB data SIM. As mentioned, visit a Vodafone Store when you arrive in the UK, they will be able to give the best advise.

AnnS

Hi @blamkin57 

Where did you purchase the SIM? 

5GB PAYG SIM card is not something Vodafone UK sell, 7 GB for a charge of £10.00 to include a bundle of minutes, texts and data is the minimum data you would be able to purchase. Vodafone would also  not send a SIM card to an overseas address.   This information is here: Vodafone PAYG 

edited to add: @blamkin57 If this is a 5GB data SIM, you won't be able to use the SIM for voice and texts, it will be data only and is intended for use in a data device and not a phone. The usual procedure for PAYG is to top up first and Vodafone will automatically convert the credit into a Big Value Bundle as on the link I attached.

If you are going to be in the UK, there is a Vodafone Store in every large town and you would have been able to purchase the SIM in store, add the bundle and activate the SIM.  You can find a list of stores here: Find a Vodafone Store