Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Update Apn setting via text message

Willharris1986
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi guys,

I’ve change the network provider to Vodafone pay as you go for my automatic gates. I have to send a text message to the gate to update the APN settings. Can anyone assist me please

regards

will

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Willharris1986 

Unfortunately, you are going to have a problem here, the only way you can change the APN settings is by placing the SIM in a phone.  However, unless you need data to open the gate and this is done by calling the number , this may not be necessary.

If you do place the SIM in a phone, when you set up the online account  well worth adding a landline number to receive the security code to enable you to log in to manage the account, top up and check your balance etc.

To avoid disconnection it is recommended to make a chargeable activity or top up every 90 days.

Thank you for your swift response. 

can you recommend any other options. What if I buy a data only sim. The gate control only needs 2G

many thanks 

AnnS

Hi @Willharris1986 

This is confusing the APN settings would be with your gate control application.  The SIM would fully activate when placed in a phone, you would also be able register an account to enable you to top up, check credit etc.

Please also be aware that if you are using a PAYG SIM, unless you purchase a bundle, Vodafone will charge £1.00 per day when the phone makes a connection to the internet.  See here under FAQ's PAYG 

As far as is known you won't be able to receive a text message using a data SIM.  Take a look at pay monthly basics where you can get a SIM for £6.00 per month here: Basics