Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

pay as you go plan - retain number while abroad

mctsred
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Have had a phone on a pay as you go for a number of years now - was advised to make a chargeable call every 90 days or so to keep the number active., and have been diligently doing that for ages -

unfortunately have a 3G phone with standard size simcard and 3G has been disconnected where I am, so therefore unable to make the current call (90 days was up the day before yesterday😐) - cannot even log in to the vodafone portal as it prompts for security code to be sent to the phone number that is off the network!

question is - how strict is the 90 days - i.e. is it worth attempting to find a 4G or 5G phone that will accept a standard size simcard so I can make the call, or has the number been 'recycled' already.

second question - if I was to get in to the portal is there a chargeable web to text option to keep the number active?

any suggestions on keeping the number going most welcome - even if it requires a nominal topup fee every so often or something!

thanks

17 REPLIES 17

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @mctsred 

The policy is now activity needs to be made every 180 days.

The timeframe breaks down like this …
If a person does not make an activity as described above in 90 consecutive days then Vodafone make contact via sms to advise. Then if after 45 days no usage is made they send a final notification and then give another 45 days to make some activity.
Then the Payg account could be suspended and the number and account credit lost.
The mobile number is typically quarantined for a length of time and then put back into the number pool to be redistributed to another person.
If a Payg account is suspended then a person has 90 days to ask Vodafone to re activate the Payg account via 0333 304191,  191 from a Vodafone phone or from abroad +447836191191

I

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandOfBrothers,

thanks for your help and providing the helpline numbers - as it stands, I can't make any activity on the phone due to 3G being switched off where I am. - will try and obtain a 4G compatible phone that will take the standard simcard, and see if I can make a call.

Will give the helpline phone number a try to see if they can assist in the meantime

thanks again! 😀

I would also like an answer to this question- but in reverse. I am an Australian citizen living in the UK. I went back to Australia in November 2022 to visit family and put a Vodafone Australia SIM in my second SIM slot. I purchased a package of phone and data for 14 days that expired the day I left, so I put an extra $20 on the account. I am not likely to return to Australia for a year or so, but I want to keep my Vodafone Australia telephone number for when I return. At the moment my Vodafone Australia SIM is turned off on my phone. If I turn on the the Vodafone Australia SIM and send a text message to my UK number ever 90 days is that sufficient to keep my Vodafone Australia SIM active?

Hey @CatHat. Although here on the Vodafone UK Community we would be unable to advise or confirm the processes in place with Vodafone Australia, in terms of Vodafone UK Pay as You Go, generally speaking to stop your mobile number from being disconnected, you need to use it once every 180 days. This must be for a chargeable activity – like sending a text or making a call. If you don't use your phone for 90 days, we'll send you a text to remind you. If there's still no activity after the full 180 days, your mobile number will be disconnected and will not work again.

That being said, I would recommend getting in touch with Vodafone Australia regarding your Vodafone Australia Pay as You Go SIM.

I did post this question on another part of the board as I wasn't sure if this conversation was active and a very helpful moderator AnnS did say I would need to seek an answer from Vodafone Australia.

Unfortunately there is no helpful Community Webchat for Vodafone Australia but I took her advice and went onto their website and had a look at the T&C's for Pre-paid mobiles updated in November 2022.

https://www.vodafone.com.au/about/legal/plan-details?accordion-id=prepaid-mobile-phones

(g) If you do not recharge your service within 120 days of your last recharge expiry date, you will
lose your mobile number and Vodafone Prepaid account.
(h) If you do not recharge your service within 90 days of your last recharge expiry date, you will
lose any remaining balances in your Vodafone Prepaid account for example, My Credit and
Data Bank.  

So it looks as though consistent with what you have said so long as I put money on the phone every 90 days and text at least once in that period I won't loose either my balance or the mobile number. When I return to OZ I can use the accumulated balance to buy another plan depending on how long I'm over. I hope that is helpful for anyone in my position. Kind regards, 

Sorry 'lose' ....

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi @CatHat 

Sounds like you've got it right when it comes to keeping the vodafone AU number active. 

I do something similar with my AT&T (USA) prepaid sim. 

There's a minimum top-up that needs to be done in order to keep the service active. I do that every three months but then when I'm there, turn the accumulated balance into an unlimited package to use whilst there. 

AnnS

Hi @mctsred 

You will be able to keep the number active by making a chargeable activity every 180 days.  If you have not topped up or used the phone during 90 days Vodafone will send a text message to let you know what needs to be done to keep the number active.  If you do not take any active Vodafone will send a further message 45 days later, if no action is taken you have a further 45 days to remain connected.  If no action is taken during that time you will be disconnected from the network and lose any remaining balance and it will be impossible to reconnect the number to the network.

It would also be worth mentioning that Vodafone are now identifying 'permanent roamers' with it being a UK network, the SIM is expected to connect to the UK network.

You can top up from abroad without the need to log into your account here: Top up you can also get someone to top up the phone on your behalf.

You also mention 3G has been disconnected by the roaming network, if 2G is still available you should be able to change the network mode on the phone to 2G.  I would recommend doing a network scan from you network settings, you will be able to roam on any network where there you are able to get a connection.

Hi @AnnS,

thanks for the info and that topup link - that's great especially since I can't login to my account as it sends a security code to phone that cannot connect!

- couple of things though...

Given that I have a 3G phone  and am unable to make or receive calls, when you say "If you have not topped up or used the phone during 90 days" does that mean that i could 'top up' every 3 months instead of making the calls?

also you mention 'permanent roamers' - if the SIM doesn't connect to a network in the UK will that also be an issue - is that something new?

unfortunately 2G has also been switched off, so my only option is to obtain a 4G or better phone that takes the old standard size simcards - does such a thing exist?  or is there an adapter (to go from nano to standard) I wonder?

thanks again for your help 😀