Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

30-day notice for cancelling contract

Ricco
2: Seeker

Hi all

I purchased a 30 days unlimited data sim from vodafone and activited on 2 july.

I wanted to upgrade my plan to a 12-months contract today (24/7) via the online customer chatting.

But I was told I am not eligible to upgrade my plan before 90 days from starting date of the contract.

Afterwards, I decided to cancel my current plan then order a new 12-months sim.

The online customer told me a 30-days notice for the cancelling is needed.

I asked the customer service to terminate my contract ended with 31/8 but he refused.

He told me the ended date can only be 23/8 which counted exactly 30 days from today (24/7).

Then I ask him is that vodafone only accept 30-day notice, not accept 30+ days? he responded "Sorry no".

Finally, I decided to cancel my contract with 30 days notice today because I feel trouble to contact the CS again.

My question is : Is it really Vodafone not accepting "30+ days notice"?? 

It is very common with a 30 days or "more" in advanced to terminate a contract in my home country. So I feel so weird about the policy or terms of vodafone.

Sorry for my bad english. Hope you all can understand what I wrote above. :Smiling:

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Ricco 

I suspect the reason for this is due to Vodafone's credit checking.  With new customers before being able to change a plan, Vodafone will ask customers to make 3 months clear payments, by this time Vodafone will have an indication as to how the account is managed.  However, as you would have been credit checked, you should be able to change your tariff after the first month to a 12 month contract.  I would certainly try again, you may get a more helpful advisor.

It is correct that 30 day contracts are subject to 30 days notice. Unfortunately, with a data SIM this has to be done by contacting Vodafone, there is no other way.  See here: Cancel Account 

BandOfBrothers

Hello @Ricco 

Your English is just fine :Smiling:

With Vodafone UK they do require 30 days notice.

It's entirely your choice the way you wish to go about this.

Personally I'd hit the criteria Vodafone need before upgrading and then upgrade at the right time.

The Vodafone Support pages and the Terms and Conditions you agreed to explain.

Terms-and-Conditions. 

I wish you all the best with your choices.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Ricco

@Anns and @BandofBrothers,

I am very thankful you reply me quickly.

I understand the 30 days notice is reasonable because the provider need time to handle the cancellation process.

But why I am not able to request the termination of contract with the ended date on 31/8 by today? it give more than 30 days notice to vodafone. This is unreasonable and make me confused.

AnnS

@Ricco 

As explained it's a 30 day contract, this will be subject to 30 days notice, that means if you give notice today, the contract will end in 30 days from today.

Also remember the first bill will have been charged on a pro rata basis and will have been charged one months line rental on advance and will have already paid for the 30 days notice, there is nothing stopping you from asking Vodafone to immediately disconnect your service but you will be charged.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here, you want to upgrade to a 12 month contract and also terminate the 30 day contract.  You need to remember that if you terminate now there would be no guarantee you would be able to return to take out a 12 month contract.

@AnnS,

Thanks for the explanation.

What I was thinking is:

Since my activation date of sim is 2/7, and I paid 2 months for the broadband, I supposed I'm can enjoy the internet till 1/9 as long as giving a 30days (or more) notice to the provider before the ended date.

After reading your advice, it seems not applicable in reality.

If I want to use the internet till 31/8, I must request the termination on 30/7, is that correct?

The last question: you said there is no guarantee that I can resume to the 12-month contract. Is it means my credit reference may be impacted by the cancelling the contract within 90 days?

Many thanks!

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Ricco 

There is no reason why you won't be able to return to take out a new contract as long as your Credit Score is good still and nothing else has changed that Vodafone need for their criteria for opening up a contract.

Your Credit File or Credit Score won't be impacted by ending a contract in anyway.

However a Credit Score can be impacted by too many Credit Searches performed in a short period of time.

If you give Vodafone 30 days notice to end the contract then you can use your allowances you've paid for until the 30 days is ended.

Your services will just stop after the notice period has been reached.

Just to add please don't cancel your direct debit as Vodafone will need to complete any transactions i.e debits and and refunds required. Vodafone themselves would cancel the Direct Debit once everything is completed. You should receive a Sorry Your leaving letter and a £0 bill.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sorry there is a mistake here.

Please allow me to correct to

"If I want to use the internet till 31/8, I must request the termination on 1/8, is that correct?"

AnnS

@Ricco wrote:

Sorry there is a mistake here.

Please allow me to correct to

"If I want to use the internet till 31/8, I must request the termination on 1/8, is that correct?"

That is correct @Ricco but it is confusing as to what you are wanting to achieve.  If you are intending to move to a 12 month contract, you would have much more success completing the third months payment by which time you will have a proven good payment record.  Credit checks are valid for 90 days, if you are intending to return and take out a new 12 month contract, this will mean a new credit check.

Have you even thought about setting up a hotspot on your phone to access the internet?  Take a look at Voxi, still Vodafone here: Voxi no contract, cancel anytime and you will have the benefit of all calls and texts.