Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Account detail changed

AnnoyedKatie
2: Seeker

Hello!

So a couple of days ago I broke my phone screen. I rang vodaphone to upgrade from a sim only to a device plan. I got through all the security checks fine and we got right to the end where the guy on the phone was processing the order and then he popped me on hold. After 45mins on hold he told me there was a technical issue there end and he would get back to me to finish the order.

I called the next day to finish the order but was told I couldn’t access my account because the name I was giving did not match the one on the account. They advised me to go into store with 2 forms of ID and get the name changed.

When I went into store they could see that whilst I was on the phone the day before, someone had changed my name, address and email address on the account. I did not get a text regarding these changes.

They could see that my details had been on the account up until I called about an upgrade. They referred me to the fraud squad to get it sorted. I’m still waiting for a response 24 hours later and I’m worried about someone taking out a contract on my account with my bank details as I don’t believe anyone is stupid enough to accidentally change my name, my email address and my current address. The fraud squad assured me that this cannot be done.

I wondered if this has happened to anyone else and if/how it was resolved and if vodaphone gave any explanation to how this  happened. 

Im still without the phone and had to cancel my bank card as I was worried that some fraud on my account could happen. 

Would love to hear your experiences! I want to cancel my account with vodaphone as soon as the issue is resolved as my trust in them has completely been broken (after being a customer for 10 years)

2 REPLIES 2

michaelaskew

A few days ago, I accidentally broke my phone screen, so I contacted Vodafone to upgrade from a sim-only plan to a device plan. The security checks went smoothly, and we were almost done processing the order when the representative put me on hold. After waiting for 45 minutes, I was informed that there was a technical issue on their end and they would get back to me to complete the order.

The following day, I called again to finalize the order, but I was unable to access my account because the name I provided did not match the one on the account. Vodafone advised me to visit a store with two forms of identification to change the name on the account.

When I went to the store, they discovered that while I was on the phone the previous day, someone had changed my name, address, and email address on the account. Surprisingly, I did not receive any notification regarding these changes.

The store representatives confirmed that my details were intact on the account until I called about the upgrade. They directed me to the fraud squad to resolve the issue. It has been 24 hours, and I am still awaiting a response. I am concerned about the possibility of someone using my bank details to take out a contract in my name. The fraud squad assured me that this cannot be done.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation and how it was resolved. I would also like to know if Vodafone provided any explanation for this occurrence. As a result of this incident, I am without a phone and have had to cancel my bank card due to concerns about potential fraudulent activity on my account.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @michaelaskew, it looks like your and @AnnoyedKatie have had an identical issue. If either of you'd like us to look into this for you, please pop us a message via one of our social channels.