Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Both numbers being used after port

TomAW_
2: Seeker

I've recently swapped to vodafone on a new phone from giffgaff and have brought my number with me

Old giffgaff number I want to keep lets call (111)

New number assigned my vodafone I want to lose lets cal (123)

I used a pac code and got the text saying all was completed about 13 hours ago at time of writing.

When calling people as far as I'm aware it comes up as the 111 number, but when texting people depending on which contact it is it seems to pick one of the 2 numbers and stick with it (half my contacts don't know who I am when I text them), I have once seen it swap numbers mid text conversation for one contact but that seems to be a one off. I can tell which number it is coming from as the message bubbles I send are a light or dark blue depending which of my numbers they have been assigned.

Vodafone support has said to do update my number on my google account which didn't help and a factory reset also didn't help.

In the about phone menu in settings for phone number it says unknown and if I click on sim status it once again says unkonw under the phone number on sim heading.

During the setup phase I was given a choice of either number to send a verification text to to prove it was me.

I'm running android 11 on a google pixel 5 and am very confused. Anyone have any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @TomAW_ 

This could be a Split Port which I where not all the porting in files have successfully settled.

Ask Vodafone Customer service or the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries to ask their Porting In Teams to check this.

The unknown number maybe because the Vodafone Sim Card they supplied had a temporary number on it before the port in of your original number.

I've known a Sim Swap to rectify this which transfers your number and tariff onto a Blank Sim Card. 

As Vodafone Highstreet Store's are closed at the moment you could wait until they re open or ask customer services to post out a Blank Sim Card and you perform the sim swap yourself. It's vital that you ask for a Blank Sim Card. 

What-is-a-SIM-swap-and-how-long-does-it-take. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

sjaeagle5

Your SMS app maybe set up to use chat so you'll need to change this. 

Open SMS messaging app

Click on 3 dots

Click on settings

Click on chat settings

Select default messaging type should be set to text/ multimedia msgs.

This should resolve the issue.