Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Call problems in the US

step_hen
4: Newbie

I’m currently in the US, where Vodafone use T-Mobile and AT and T. I wanted to make people aware there’s a technical  issue with AT and T that prevents voice calls being made and received. Calls can be made on T- Mobile, but I find that their coverage is inferior to AT and T,’s. After several conversations with Voda tech support, they acknowledged there is a problem with AT and T, but, apparently, they’re not in touch with AT and T to resolve the problem. 

104 REPLIES 104

Just spoke to a  Voda Complaints manager. No record of my complaint made on 28th May. The party line is that it's a US technical issue that has nothing to do with Vodafone, even though it affects their customers. They're not in touch with the US carriers, nor do they intend to. Vodafone have no obligation to warn visitors to the US about the call problems. What an appalling, indifferent attitude towards their customers. I shall be leaving Vodafone at the earliest opportunity. 

I’ve complained to the CEO office and had more or less the same fob off.

They will not look at any of the links I’ve sent them of the press reports, forums discussing this issue or T-Mobile’s USA website that clearly states that there 3G service is closing. They are burying there heads in the sand over the matter and like you have said will not stop selling contracts for USA roaming or warn customers of the forth coming issues. They won’t even reduce the monthly fee I’m paying once T-Mobile closes to roaming.
I will try and take this forward with the JVS Consumer Show on BBC Three Counties Radio.

However I don’t think that this issue is unique to Vodafone but effects all uk networks and so leaving Vodafone to join another uk network will not resolve the problem.

However I think Vodafone have handled this appallingly and I suspect it’s because it could void a lot of contracts as they can’t supply what they have contracted to do.

This will blow up in there face as more people become aware of this and I will then be raising the issue again with the CEO’s office.

Vodafone would be quite happy for me to leave but I plan to stick around so I can be a thorn in there side and look forward to Saying I told you so in a few months time.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can understand your frustration over this @step_hen and I'm sorry there's been an issue logging your complaint. 

We do appreciate your feedback and comments about what's happening, and please be assured that we do take these on board - I've escalated this to see if we can make sure any gaps in knowledge/training issues (within in all areas of the business) are identified.  

@Jaydun68 you're quite right, as this change has been carried out by another network, it would be the same with any network provider. 

As your contract is for UK usage, another network's decision to close part of their network structure doesn't mean we haven't provided your contracted service - whilst we can't change the shut down of 3G, we can improve the way we're informing customers and the subsequent support they're receiving from us. 

Sorry but it is not completely true that coverage issues are minor. There are serious coverage problems at major airports and in and around major cities like NYC and the suburbs of Connecticut. You should make your customers aware of this so they can plan ahead. It would also be useful and good customer service if you could suggest alternatives other than driving around hoping to find coverage somewhere given this is not a practical solution to most people traveling in the US and who do not have the time to be doing that. Thanks 

The problem will only be solved when they implement VoLTE, as they've indicated they will  later in the summer. Vodafone is very poor at proactively alerting customers to this sort of problem, as illustrated by earlier posts in this thread. I took my complaint with them over this issue to CISAS, and will be moving to EE in the near future. EE have assured me they have VoLTE enabled in the US, which I will test out on my next visit to the US.

What was the CISAS outcome?

Partial success. I've been released from my contract without penalty and an apology. I also asked CISAS to scrutinise Voda's response to the way they dealt with this issue, but this isn't in their remit. They apologised for not being able to come up with a solution, even though they claim to be introducing VoLTE, so they continue with their bizarre, contradictory explanations.

I have to say I can't leave Voda, I LOVE their roaming options, (US issues aside), I like the entertainment packages, I just think that despite all their faults (and they have many) they are the best right now...

I registered especially for this problem.

I am currently in Houston and the roaming here is totally useless.  My iPhone 13 only seems to roam onto T-Mobile 2G which is totally saturated.  Dropped and failed calls, awful call quality /garbled if it does work, data totally unusable.  Zero ability to do anything like get an Uber etc.  It won’t attach to AT&T if manually selected even for data so Vodafone must be blocking that.

I would have thought that the USA would be a major destination for Vodafone customers.

“A solution this summer”.  Summer is just about finished……

I’m afraid this has been going on for a long time and Vodafone have their head stuck in the sand, and still don’t offer VoLTE while roaming in the USA, whilst pretending that the 2G option works. 

The 3G networks that Vodafone used to provide roaming in the USA shut down in July leaving virtually no service for those roaming.

only uk network that does offer VoLTE on 4G while roaming in the USA is 3, though I believe EE does as well but they don’t shout about this while 3 do.