Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data slow while tethering

simax
14: Advanced member

Hi all,

I'm staying overnight in Birmingham and I have full 5G signal and I am tethering my iPhone 12 Pro to my MacBook Air 2020 (only a week old so not messed about with settings etc).

On the iPhone, my 5G speed is measured at 236mbit down, 21mbit up via Ookla, however running the same speed test on my MacBook while tethered gives 36mbit down, 29mbit up - using the same connection.

I am on Unlimited Max and I was under the impression there was no throttling or traffic shaping on this plan? I just toggled my iPhone to 4G mode and the speed on that is coincidentally the same as my tethered speed on the MacBook when supposedly on 5G......

Any ideas what's going on?

2 REPLIES 2

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @simax - Have you checked what data speeds to expect in your area? If you head to our network status checker and click 'Data Speed Info' to see the expected speeds.

Also, while it allows you to share your data, I would expect speeds to be slower on the device your tethering to compared to the device connected directly to our network.

simax

Hi there,

I was only there one evening so didn’t go so in depth about it. I also would accept a small fluctuation in speed is possible due to limitations….. but not a difference of over 80%! It just appeared to be traffic managed or speed throttled that was all…