Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Error 28 when texting 5 digit numbers

jc0910
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I have recently switched to Vodafone. I tried texting a competition 5 digit number but the message won't send. I keep getting error 28. I have checked the number and it is correct and in use. I have no Bars set up to block premium numbers and I can send messages to normal numbers fine.

I have no bars selected but yesterday turned the bar on then off again to make sure. I have received confirmation that there is no block on premium numbers but still can't send message.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Could be an account block you cannot see @jc0910 

Live Chat,  191 or Vodafone Social Media Team's can check via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Also try deleting any texting history in your messages app and try again.

Check both your myvodafone app and myvodafone online for the bars section.

If you've just ported recently to Vodafone and brought your phone number then the porting files may still be settling.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Yes @jc0910 Vodafone have a restriction bar for sending short code reverse charge messages.   Also, a message should have come up on your phone to let you know sending the short code message would incur charges.

I would recommend taking a look at your spend manager here: Spend Manager If you have this activated and set to 0 it will stop you incurring extra billing charges, 

If you have checked your online account, I would suggest contacting Customer Services through live chat for quickness, you can always try calling but you will most that likely be in a long queue.

edited to add: @jc0910 Please see this previous thread I replied to https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Error-28-preventing-SMS-to-five-digit-numbers/td-p/2657329

as you can see this was solved by live chat most probably by removing the premium rate SMS bar.

HelpfulBadger
11: Established
11: Established

Hi,

I would confirm the number is searchable on the Vodafone Charge Checker (this will also confirm how much the entire text will charge, including the standard rate) - If it shows up in the checker it is either that your device is mis-configured (i.e. it's missing the SMS Service Centre number) or Vodafone hasn't added the routing for that number (in which case the charge checker is basically useless, as it's pulling from a generic list instead of what's active). If it doesn't show up in the checker Vodafone need to add it their routing table (but they might say the owners have to request this).

Hope this helps