Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Failed Credit Check - mobile

monicatje
2: Seeker

During a transfer of ownership of my mobile number from my husband's old company to my own personal name I needed to go through the credit check process. On Friday 8th I apparently failed this.

This makes NO sense. I have re-checked my Equifax Score ( see attached screenshot) and it is 531 which is excellent and I have NO credit issues.

In addition there have been NO credit searches against me in the last 12 months, so I do not believe that the search from the Transfer of Ownership actually went through.

Please come someone advise who I can speak to get this sorted??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

No company will enter into discussion of why a credit check has failed because they don't want to reveal their methods and risk their system being gamed.

However, it's possible that there was some incorrect information in the original process and it may be that you can get the process re-done manually.   Contact the Social Media team on Facebook or Twitter and ask them to escalate the matter to Credit File Support.   There's no guarantee that would change the result, but you'd at least know it had been tried.   I have personally seen a credit check fail because the link to the credit reference agency failed, so that might well be the problem.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

hrym

No company will enter into discussion of why a credit check has failed because they don't want to reveal their methods and risk their system being gamed.

However, it's possible that there was some incorrect information in the original process and it may be that you can get the process re-done manually.   Contact the Social Media team on Facebook or Twitter and ask them to escalate the matter to Credit File Support.   There's no guarantee that would change the result, but you'd at least know it had been tried.   I have personally seen a credit check fail because the link to the credit reference agency failed, so that might well be the problem.

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

Hi Monica.  The screenshot has been removed but have you written the wrong number down?  My company rate 531 as a poor score (not excellent) and would not extend credit to an applicant with that credit score.

mkogel

Looks like credit check failures still continue with Vodafone. Recently I wanted to upgrade my contract but my application was declined due to credit check failure. I have an excellent credit score so I appealed the case. Below is the response I have received from them:

"

Thank you for contacting Vodafone.

Our new device financing agreements are a type of loan regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), so applications have to pass certain identification, affordability and credit checks.   Information regarding these can be seen here - https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/device-financing-definitions.

Your application unfortunately was declined at the identification check stage, this was due to there being a deceased flag on your credit file. On further investigations I can see that this is not for yourself but for someone with the same surname and forename that starts with the same letter. I have now manually approved your application so if you wish to continue please contact our sales team directly on 08080 057432 Who can raise a new order for you.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

".

I have been a loyal customer for many years but no more. I have now cancelled my contract.. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for contacting us @mkogel - it's disappointing to see that you appealed the case, they managed to get everything resolved for you and you still decided to leave. Thank you for sharing your feedback though, we hope to see you back in the future 😊

All new phone contracts are now split in two one payment for the phone and another for the airtime  they now do credit checks on upgrades as well because they now Regulated by the financial conduct authority

simax
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Interesting that O2 don’t credit check their refresh customers for upgrades…. 

I just wanted to get broadband, and my “excellent” Experian credit score is getting me nowhere! Looks like this an issue which hasn’t gone away. Maybe I should just stick with my provider. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

There can be a number of reasons your credit check failed @Wizzigog, it's not just based on the score you're given by one reference agency.  If you feel the result was in correct, please reach out to us via our appeal form. Our Credit File team will review this and reach out to you with a result in 10 working days.