Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile data usage wrong

JohnHop
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Yesterday My Vodafone app is suggesting I used in excess of 800mb of mobile data. Absolute nonsense and my Huawei P20 pro backs this up as it keeps a running total of mobile data usage and tells me I used 43mb yesterday. What is going on? Is there an explanation of how this can occur? It seems frightening that Vodafone can record such a high level extra data usage when the mobile was used very sparingly and cautiously.

9 REPLIES 9

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @JohnHop

The data usage recorded on the application won't just be for a single day and would have accumulated over time when the application caught up with the usage.  However, data usage is measured on the network and not from the usage given by the phone application.  When you check the application again, you may find it gives the correct usage for the week or period and will be correct. 

When you receive your bill this will give you something to base your facts on and if you do not agree with the amount used, you will be able to raise this with Customer Services. 

In the meantime, if you have not already applied the cap, this will prevent accidentally exceeding the allowance.  Details here: Data Capping

Yes I know the usage is for the monthly period overall but having checked it at the start of day and the end 800mb is the usage for that day only. My phone is set to record mobile data over the same period. It says I have used 618mb total, My Vodafone says 1.4gb!! I have taken screenshots to record all this and yes I will be pursuing it if I am wrongly charged extra.

hrym

It's a good idea to keep screenshots as the inbuilt data monitor is generally accurate and gives you a starting point to challenge the bill if necessary.   At this stage, all you can really do is wait until that arrives.   Download it in full and have a look at the usage pages.  Data use appears in the bill partly cumulated, so don't worry about the details of the timing, but the actual dates should be in line and may provide a clue.

Vodafone aren't able to see what has used data, only that it has been, but a large disparity between your device and your account needs to be investigated.   It's possible, of course, that My Vodafone is having a blip and the bill will be correct.  Let's hope so, anyway.

All I can do is hope but the whole episode is very unnerving. Frightened to use the remaining data on my account (according to my phone's record of my usage)  for fear of incurring greater charges which is highly annoying.

Thank you for your input and am keeping fingers crossed all will be well. At least the cap is in place for further months but will Vodafone continue to record spurious mobile data use gobbling up my allowance? Time will tell I suppose.

hrym

If you've applied the cap, I'd assume that your data would stop working immediately if the allowance has been exceeded (I don't absolutely know, as I've never been in this exact situation).

The forum team, who have account access, will pick this thread up in due course and be able to help.   However, it's possible that their initial advice will be the same.  Still, you're in the right place now, so just hang on.

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Before you reach the cap, you will get a text informing you of limited remaining Data.

Once you reach the Cap, you should get another Text telling you that Data has now been stopped.

Both text will contain a link to remove Cap and also purchase additional data.

Thank you. That is good for future months then. Unfortunately I hadn't applied the cap before this incident. However I had set warnings on my mobile at 80% of my total monthly data allowance and at 10% for daily usage. Neither of these thresholds were triggered. All very strange and my next bill will make very interesting reading.

Hi,

Screenshot_20190914_111136_com.myvodafoneapp.jpg

Screenshot_20190914_111057_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg

Screenshot_20190914_111106_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg

The same happens to me for the second consecutive month.

My Huawei P20 Pro states that I have 3.07GB left out of my 5GB allowance. And the Vodafone app states that I have 585MB left out of the 5GB allowance.

Both months I was traveling abroad - very suspicious and unsettling.

@vodaafone could you look into this?

Thanks,

Chris

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @User1909 Are the renewal dates on your phone and Vodafone contract synced? You can check and update this by following 👉

1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap Data Usage.
  3. Tap the Date range under Set cellular data limit.
  4. Tap Change cycle...
  5. Tap the Date that matches with your billing cycle reset day.
  6. Tap SET.

If you're still getting different usage levels, let us know and we'll be able to take a closer look into this for you.