Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No New OneNumber subscriptions for Smartwatches

Xtattsbox
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I had an Apple watch 4 with an eSim and to be honest it took a ridiculous amount of time to get OneNumber set up on that.  I managed it, eventually and to be honest it was great.  I decided I didn't need mobile connectivity on my watch, so I purchased an Apple watch 7, which has been great, but then they released the Ultra.

I purchased one on the 27th February and, thinking that Vodafone will have solved their OneNumber issues, excitedly went through the set up process to subscribe to Onenumber, waited 24 hours... and nothing happened.

Numerous calls, Online Chats followed.  "There is unfortunately an issue setting up Onenumber on Smartwatches."  It is being worked on.

Bascially, right now, Vodafone cannot add Onenumber Subscriptions to accounts.  I assume that this is for Business accounts as ours is a business account.  There is no real explanation, there is no timescale for resolution, it just can't happen.  The irony is at the end of January we signed up for another 24 month contract.   I would have signed up with EE.  It seems those guys just flip a switch.

Anyway.  You may find if you are trying to get an eSIM working on your smart watch, you cannot.  (Quite what the difference is of one device wrapped around an eSIM over another is quite beyond me)

10 REPLIES 10

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Xtattsbox - thanks for taking your time to explain this. 

Currently we’re not supporting smartwatches connected to a business number, for customers with more than 10 employees.

If you've less than this, then please get in touch with us on Social Media. We can then find out what's happening. 

Hi Gemma,

I’m more than happy to reach out, but I fear the result will be the same.  I logged a formal complaint through your website that was picked up by Abby.  She has checked our account and there is no reason why it should be an issue.  I spoke to sales.  The person that I spoke to told me that there is an internal issue and until that is resolved, my account cannot have a Onenumber applied to it.  It used to have one ironically, which when we renewed our account was causing issues with the app and was removed as it was not being used.

All I get is “there is an internal issue” no time scale for resolution, and no explanation of the issue, which to be honest is pretty shoddy.

I have previously had OneNumber on my account, then sold that watch some time ago so cancelled it. On Saturday I signed-up for a new OneNumber for my Apple Watch, through the iPhone in the usual way.  Waited 24 hours as instructed. Nothing. Order showed as pending on the OneNumber website. Went through to Chat support, eventually they say "there's a problem with the order, we need to escalate it internally by sending it to another team, please wait 24 hours".  Next day, nothing, back to chat support, "We will move it to the priority team, please wait 24 hours, I promise you 100% it will work after that". Next day, nothing, back to chat support "Priority team are on it, please wait 24 hours, I guarantee it will work after that. We're getting so many OneNumber orders we can't keep up, it's a manual process etc".  Next day, progress, I get the email with the QR code. Go to the phone, try Setup Mobile Plan, "cannot connect", "Vodafone timeout", "server error", etc. etc.  Back to support: "You've ordered the wrong kind of OneNumber, you need to cancel it and order a different one".  Me: "How can I choose what to order, I just clicked the Setup Data Plan on the watch, I don't get a choice at that stage".  Them: "We'll transfer you to sales who will cancel your existing order and create a new one of the right kind".  After 2 hours on chat with sales, and a comedy of errors like the chat telling me I'd been quiet for too long and it was going to disconnect me because the Vodafone CS person said they needed to read/do something, various "my system is overloaded and too slow, I need to reboot", I get to them saying they need to go through T&C's with me, I said can't I just say yes I accept, given that's what I'd do on the watch, she said no, so I say go ahead then and she says I can't because my system is broken.  Eventually we get through the T&Cs and she says I need to do a credit check (which of course wasn't necessary when signing up via the watch, I've been a customer for many years with 3 different phone subscriptions, etc.). Ok fine, do the credit check.  Then she completes the order for OneNumber, and announces "it won't go through".  Then a few minutes later "it's gone through".  Great.  Get an email about an hour later with a breakdown of the costs for the new OneNumber plan. Progress.  Except 24 hours later and still no email saying I can go ahead and set it up, no QR code, and of course, it doesn't work if I try Setup Data Plan on the watch.

And yes, I've tried Social Media for support, repeatedly, I get zero response.  

I cannot fathom how it can be this bad.  Sure I can move my three numbers to EE, except I don't get coverage from EE when at home. The company for which I make decisions related to technology has about 300 phones with Vodafone globally.  I am intending to move them ALL to another provider.  I just cannot stand it any longer.  

If someone from Vodafone wants to sort this out then great, but I honestly doubt they even can if they want to at this point...

Oh and by the way, the account I'm trying to add the OneNumber to is a consumer account, not a business one.  It's separate from my company one. So the problems don't relate just to business accounts. It's an utter sh*t show no matter what type of account you have.  

The exceedingly frustrating part for me is the total lack of information.  “There is an issue at our end” is the catch all statement and is totally unsatisfactory.

I know it's no help to anyone else, but it's now working about 24 hours after I placed my new OneNumber order with Vodafone via their chatbot.  Interestingly (perhaps), I got the email and an SMS saying my OneNumber was ready. I went to the Watch app on the iPhone, clicked to add data plan but got errors about being unable to connect.  I tried it about 10 times, always the same.  Then I noticed that the icon for Mobile connection (that you see when you swipe up on the watch) had changed and when I tapped it it said I was connected to Vodafone.  I switched my phone off and was able to make and receive calls, so it's definitely working. 

My tip, for anyone who finds this thread and is having problems, is to NOT try to sign up via the iPhone app during the watch setup. Instead, talk to Vodafone sales and get them to add OneNumber to your account.  The former didn't work for me, the latter eventually did.  But it was a painful exercise and I dread the day I change watch and need to move my OneNumber.

Well done 👍 

Enjoy 😊 

We have reached the end of the journey and this morning my Smarthwatch was connected and is all working.
Thank you Vodafone.

To say that it has been protracted would be an understatement, but persistence and politeness has always worked and I believe always will.

For those that are interested, tried to activate on the watch, failed and rasied this with Technical Chat.  They advised that I needed to raise an order for Onenumber subscription (I'm on a business tariff) which I did.  that failed (it was cancelled after 2 days).  I tried again and that was kept open (then cancelled after two days) - I spoke repeatedly to sales and techincal who advise there was an issue with back office and although the order could be rasied, it could not be finalised.
I sent a formal complaint through the website which was followed up quickly and professionallywith a phone call.  The person that dealt with the complaint assured me there was no issue with my account and I was put through to sales.  An order was raised (and cancelled again)
This Saturday - I was running out of more important things to do, I went into a Vodafone store and spoke to one of the people in there.  They went through the whole process and set up the account.  24 hours later, no activation.
I emailed the gentleman that helped me in the shop and advised of the issue.

Yesterday I received a call from Vodafone.  They confirmed that they had my order, but I needed to contact Technical help to get it finished.  I did and the person that helped me assured me that everything would be working properly in 24 hours.

This morning I was called by Vodafone again and the final bits of the jigsaw were obviously put into place.
I have discovered that the key bit of information that you get is the "How to Connect your e-Sim email".  When you get that, you have done it.
Email received.  Checked my phone and the Mobile data on the Apple watch app changed from Waiting to Activating.

I guess the message is, if you are having issues, raise a formal complaint.  I am fairly sure that this has expidited the solution.

i just had a watch of vodafone i got it sorted in 20 min to one number would have been quicker it kpet up dating sorted 😃😄