Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Roaming Mobile Data not working after phone update

Barnezy91
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I have a UK sim but I've been in Spain for a few weeks with no issues using the service. Today my phone (Samsung S9) did an update, after which I cannot connect to mobile data.

I contacted support and they recommended various ways to try to get it working which unfortunately didn't work.

After a while I was told it was a known issue that UK sims are currently unable to access roaming data services and it will be fixed soon.

This feels questionable because I was using my phone prior to the update with no problem and immediately after updating the mobile data stopped working. Also, it has been unavailable for close to 10 hours now and it is only data services affected. Calls and texts work fine. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Or have any advice? 

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

What update did the phone complete on @Barnezy91  ?

i.e software or security update or was it an app update ?

As a process of elimination to rule out the phone can you try your sim card in another phone ? 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

In regards to the phone itself you could try clearing the cache and data of an app in Settings,  Apps, the app in question then tap on storage.

Also you could Clear your phone's System Cache Files by turning your phone Off and then from a set series of button presses go into the phone's System Files and clear the cache. No information is lost this way. You may need to insert your headphones or hook upto a computer with your data cable to get to this menu on the phone. https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-clear-the-cache-on-my-device/ 

Current Phone  >

Thanks for the support. It was a system update to the OS. Nothing that should affect the mobile data however I see online that others have faced the same issue after updating. 

I've tried clearing the cache to no avail.

Only thing left to try is a factory reset. 

BandOfBrothers

A factory reset in my opinion wouldn't help with this as you've already cleared the cache @Barnezy91 and a factory reset will just take the phone back to the last successful update which is the one you've just done.

You'll then have to reset up your phone.

Can you as I suggested try your sim in another phone  ?

Current Phone  >

Thanks for your support. I managed to solve the problem by reversing the update and returning to an old version. 

Disappointing that the Vodafone support team essentially lied to me about a network issue to get rid of me rather than support. 

How did you go back to before the update ? Vodafone couldn't help me with that. Is this a Samsung update issue then? 

AnnS

Hi @Barnezy91 

An update shouldn't affect access to mobile data.

There is a 25GB cap fair  usage roaming data across all plans, if you have been in Spain for a few weeks I am wondering if you have used the 25GB monthly allowance.  The charges for exceeding the fair usage limit are £3.13 per GB, if you have Spend Manager active and set at zero will will unable to exceed your monthly spend limit.

Further information on the FAQ's here: Global Roaming 

As a workaround until the refresh date, you will need to use WiFi where possible, the service should be available in your hotel and in many bars and cafes in Spain.

edited to add: I would also recommend checking your settings are correct after the update from devices guides here: Device Guides You should also be able to update the settings by texting WEB to 40127 but not sure if this will work when you are not on the UK network.

My data usage is around 2gb in the last few weeks so not anywhere near the fair usage limit 

I presume after you brought your phone back to before the update, you were able to use your data again? If so then it is the update which is the issue. Just because something shouldn't interfere doesn't mean it doesn't. Ipen mind needed when fixing these issues I think. Who configures these updates ? Samsung or Vodafone?