Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Spending cap limit

Ange90210
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My son went to Thailand on the 26th January. Prior to departing I went into a Vodafone shop who said that they'd set a cap limit on his phone, and that it would be £6 a day to use his text, data etc when away. It also says that there is 25gb per calendar month as part of the £6 a day.

I was shocked to receive a WhatsApp pic from my son today that shows that he has a text message from Vodafone saying he is almost at his spending cap limit of £240!

His phone is on my account, so I've looked at his data usage and he hasn't even used 1gb let alone 25gb since being away. 

I'm thinking that maybe the data he'd used in the UK (he has an unlimited data package in UK), has been added up to what he's used in Thailand??

Either way, something has gone horribly wrong here, and I can see that he's being charged £5 a day, not £6 and there's nothing that shows a current spend of nearly £240? I can only see the charges at £5 per day since he arrived in Thailand. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've just spoken to customer services, it was an incorrect text message that was sent to him. All resolved. He is only on 4 days of charges so far, so no where near the £240 and he has only used 1.2gb of data during that time.

They've sent me the confirmation of our discussion and all is good.

Thanks for your help. 

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Ange90210 

As far as the £6.00 per day is concerned, it is £5.00 per day before VAT.

Unless your Son opted out of the spending cap, Vodafone automatically add a monthly cap of £39.33 for data usage for rest of the World zone.  There is further information here: Data usage notifications in the UK and when travelling .  According to the charge checker here: Charge Checker Vodafone will charge £6.00 per inclusive of VAT for calls, texts and data usage on the days the phone is used for outgoing only, it's free to receive.

Vodafone would have applied a credit limit to the account and this would have stopped any further usage until Vodafone were contacted and they would also very likely request part of the charges to be paid before allowing any further usage.  From what you have written this is £240.00 and Vodafone accordingly advised.

This is going to need account access, speak to Vodafone through the Customer Service channels or directly to the Social Team here: Contact Us It would be worth mentioning, Vodafone will ask you to wait until the bill has been received giving you something to go on, at the moment these are unbilled charges.

Thanks for the reply. I'd set the limit at £240 as it would be sufficient to cover the £6 a day charge for the 30 days he is in Thailand. I don't understand why he'd receive a text to say he's reached the limit, when clearly 3 days at 6 is only £18?? 

AnnS

How did he travel to Thailand @Ange90210 ?

If he was using the phone on an aircraft, he would have been using the airlines own network, in your enter Airlines (Aeroplane, Flight) into the charge checker, this would have been extremely expensive.

@AnnS wrote:

How did he travel to Thailand @Ange90210 ?

If he was using the phone on an aircraft, he would have been using the airlines own network, in your enter Airlines (Aeroplane, Flight) into the charge checker, this would have been extremely expensive.

Wow, no one mentioned that to me when I sought advice about this travel. However, this isn't showing on the charges either. I'll ring Vodafone 

I've just spoken to customer services, it was an incorrect text message that was sent to him. All resolved. He is only on 4 days of charges so far, so no where near the £240 and he has only used 1.2gb of data during that time.

They've sent me the confirmation of our discussion and all is good.

Thanks for your help.