Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Texts being sent from wrong number

ElliotLuke93
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey there, new to this forum so I don't know if i am posting in the right section of the forum but i have an issue.

So i recently changed from virgin to vodafone and i used a PAC code to keep my old number, now that works and i get texts and phonecalls normally and sometimes i send texts perfectly fine, but what is happening is that my new number that came with my new contract from vodafone is showing up on text messages now. My brother and mum keep receiving text messages from my new number despite having my normal number in their phone book.

Anyway to stop this from happening?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @ElliotLuke93 

Is the number you've ported over to Vodafone and now in your sim card showing in your phone section such the About Phone section. 

Which phone are you using ?

Sometimes as a last resort a factory reset can help after backing up.

Also the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can help.

I'd recommend Twitter.

Link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

In my 'about phone' details, my phone number is not there at all and it is greyed out so i cannot access it. I am using the Google Pixel 3A XL

@ElliotLuke93 

This is sometimes due to the sim your using having a temporary number assigned to it and then the network porting the new number onto the sim.

I've known people perform a sim swap which is to transfer your number and tariff from the current sim card to a Blank Sim Card  to try and rectify that.

Vodafone Customer services  can send a Blank Sim Card and then you perform a What-is-a-SIM-swap-and-how-long-does-it-take.  Or a Vodafone Highstreet Store can perform a Sim swap in the shop (most should  be re opening as from the 15/6/20)

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I've seen so many answers to this issue but none of which are particularly practical. This seems to be an issue caused during porting but is not directly connected to the actual porting itself.

When I inserted my VF sim card some settings were installed or I had to click on links to get those settings installed. 

When SMS was being set up,  I was asked if I wanted to enable the chat function. I said no.  My wife,  on her phone said yes. 

Her phone number was displaying incorrectly on text messages. 

To rectify, you need to change the setting that uses the chat function for SMS.

(On my Samsung S8)

Open the messages (SMS) app.

Click on the 3 dots

Click on settings

Click on chat settings

Select default messaging type should be set as Text/multimedia msgs

Once we had changed this setting on my wife's phone,  the number displayed correctly.

I've found a way to fix this and still use chat features.

First clear the app data by going to Settings, Apps, Messages, Data, Clear Data (this didn't delete my messages)

Then open Messages, click the 3 dots, Settings, Chat Features, Verify Number.

Then once it is set up it will now display your correct number when sending texts via the Messages app. If you had go into the Chat Features menu before clearing data you will see that it had been set up for the number on the sim before your number was ported to it. 

AnnS

Hi @ElliotLuke93 

The phone is using memory from the original number.  You can try sending the texts messages as part of a new conversation and not as part of a existing conversation, also make sure the new number is showing on your Google account.

However, as a happened on previous threads with the same problem, the solution has been to factory reset and you may also need to do a SIM swap for a replacment new SIM for the new ported over number.

Ah okay. Good to know.

Thank you :Smiling: