Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will WiFi calling support SMS?

BonJoviFan75
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just curious as to when, if ever, Vodafone will enable support to send/receive SMS over WiFi.

I would like to have the option to use phone in airplane mode with WiFi calling on without fear of missing text messages.

EE are the only network to offer this currently?

54 REPLIES 54

This has been the subject of more than one thread and it is clear after over two years that Vodafone have no intention of offering SMS with WiFi calling. There are more and more websites/online services using sms as a means of clearing security, including most Banks, Microsoft, Google and not least VODAFONE!

This has become a much more important issue over the last couple of years, if nothing is sorted shortly I will have no choice but to go back to EE, their WiFi calling app offers SMS and has done so for 2 or 3 years.

Can we please have a deffinative answer to the question, is SMS with WiFi calling on the roadmap?

If it is, when is release planned?

Many thanks

hrym
17: Community Champion

Just a thought, @MKD677, but do you have a landline connection at all?  Some services will send a text to any number you give them, and BT has an SMS delivery service that reads out texts.   If you have fixed-line broadband, you'll in all likelihood have a landline, even if you don't use it for calls.  I don't know for certain, but I'd assume it's capable of receiving incoming calls and that all you'd need to do is plug a phone into it.

@MKD677 wrote:

This now creates such a problem as the area in which we live has no Vodafone signal at all. With Ebay and PayPal now sending Log in number by SMS i cannot receive them so cannot use Ebay or Paypal. Surely something can be done to sort this out.

I have the same problem up in Norfolk.  I have great problems and often unable to use my Santander banking app... my wife also uses me and had no problems with SMS over wifi!  About time Vodaohone kept up with the times..

You can buy a suresignal from Vodafone,  and they are not without problem and Vodafone have a habbit of killing them so you have to buy a new one.

Best option is to move to EE. My partner is on EE and is always giggling st the issues I have with Vodafone. 

Just found this thread after joining Vodafone. It is personally something I can live without but I can see the frustration it must cause some.

Their WiFi calling is weird compared to EE and Three with that permenant notification and no change of the network name. The others just come up EE WiFi calling as network name.

The only reason I can think they haven't bothered is because Voda support RCS messaging which will become the new thing eventually. Already I'm seeing some contacts within the default sms app which say chat message rather than text message. Apparently all these go through data whether it be mobile or WiFi. Eventually as more and more people especially companies start to send messages via this medium SMS will become unnecessary.

jeffkinn

You're forgetting that RCS is for Android phones and not iPhones. We of course have iMessage which is terrific but not useful with Android users or websites or apps that send an SMS as part of the authentication process, including Vodafone itself. Also Whatsapp seems to be so common now that a lot of people use that instead of SMS's or iMessages as it's multi platform.

it doesn't bother me either as my signal in the house is weak but enough to send and receive SMS's. For other people it seems to be a dealbreaker.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Yeah you are right. Not sure how it works fully yet its all new to me. RCS doesn't seem compatible across networks yet even though Google were supposed to take over from the networks who refused to support it. It definitely not perfect.

My bank also give me the option to call or sms verification codes so I expect more people should offer that if its a real problem. They just ring you and a automated voice reads out the code for you to enter into mobile banking so its not too bad. But yeah for anyone with no signal at all, WiFi calling enabled and they need a sms only verification I guess it would be annoying. 

Despite all the complaints still no sms

on Vodafone wifi calling. I shall be moving to EE

when Vodafone contract ends

I'm another one leaving as soon as. 

The customer service once the network is checked and where there never is a problem, is non existent. 

And as someone else posted, the irony of having to have a ll to get messages on your mobile. 

I was that idiot that got talked around by the retention team last time, please don't be me.

Its a waste of time saying anything on here, nobody at Vodafone cares about this problem, they have had years to fix it now.

As has been said before, SMS is used increasingly for 2FA by banks and many other companies INCLUDING VODAFONE.

I have now installed a third party signal booster (with an antenna on the roof) which works for all networks and this has solved the problem.

That said, if you have a mesh wifi network, wifi calling a better solution.