Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

renew contract

Liuchao
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My mobile contract (24 months) paying monthly will end in three weeks.  What do I need to do to keep my phone and phone number? Will the contract be rolled on, on a monthly basis? That is to say, if I do not upgrade for a year or so, my phone will still work?

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Liuchao 

The contract will roll over on a month to month basis but you may lose any discounts and be put onto one of the latest plans.

There is further information here: My Plan is coming to an end. What happens next? 

As you have already paid for your phone, you should expect to pay less on a monthly basis, I would recommend contacting Vodafone and ask to change to a SIM only plan to save money.  If you go this route, you will have already paid for the final months line rental and should expect a billing credit, the first month of the change will  be charged on a pro rata basis and will be charged up to your billing data and one months line rental in advance.

Speak to upgrades or visit a store they will give the best advise. 

edited to add:  When you are close to the end of contract Vodafone usually contact you to let you know your options and will migrate you to a SIM only contact to save you money until you are ready to upgrade to a new handset contract or decide your other options.

Dear Ann S,

Thank you very much for your advice and help.  I am abroad at the moment, and won't be able to get back to the UK soon.  If I move to a SIM only contract, does that mean I keep the same phone, and keep the same mobile number and present SIM card, and also the same plan (5 GB Red Extra Plan)?

Best wishes,

Liuchao

AnnS

Hi @Liuchao 

You would only be changing the tariff, and continue to use the same SIM and phone.  Vodafone are now obliged to contact customers when out of contract and let them know the options.   Changing to one of the latest SIM only would certainly save you a lot of money.  You can see the SIM only tariffs here: SIM only 

As far as being abroad is concerned, you don't mention how long you have been out of the country.  The reason I mention this is Vodafone are starting to identify customers who have been abroad long term, permanent roaming and making extra charges.  With it being a UK contract, you are expected to return to the UK.  

I have been in Taiwan since late December 2020, and because of Covid-19, I am not sure when I will be back, perhaps in September or maybe a few months after that.

I am grateful for your thoughtful advice. It is a great help.

Best wishes,

Liuchao

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Liuchao 

You don't have to do anything if you wish as the contract would go to a 30 day rolling contract.

Everything will still work as it does now.

You could even move to Payg if you wish.

You could also call 191 and choose the Thinking of Leaving option to speak to Retentions to broker a new deal but that will mean your locked back into a contractual.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Dear BandOfBrothers,

Thank you very much for you advice and help.

Best wishes,

Liuchao

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Liuchao 

If you decided to move to Sim Only then you would keep the same Sim Card and retain the same mobile number as everything is actioned on your account,  however you would need to choose a new tariff which would include a new set of allowances and amount you would pay per month and you would also then be in a new contractual term.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your help.  i am very grateful.

Liuchao