Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NUC request

RebeccaGal
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I have recently requested for my iPhone to be unlocked, I received the confirmation of request and another email to say request had been made to manufacturer and will be up to 10 days.

can Vodafone still refuse unlocking even with the request being put to manufacturer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Ah OK @RebeccaGal 

So what we see is that typically people sign up to the forum to vent about a bad experience, and in many cases rightly so.

Not so much for positive experiences.

We do see instances where people aren't fully aware that it's Apple that unlock their phones centrally i.e no Nuc after being asked by Vodafone, and it can take up to 30 days extra occasionally as it's Apple in full control.

Some other models require extra steps such as shortcodes and MCK Mastercodes also known as an unfreeze code which can then delay the process as the person needs to re contact Vodafone for support.

Vodafone really need to supply these Mastercodes with the Nuc and better unlocking instructions too.

Ofcom are moving towards getting Networks to supply phones unlocked out of the box which is a welcomed move.

For Vodafone UK to deny unlocking from the get-go then something must be wrong in the first instance. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers

Hi @RebeccaGal 

In the case of unlocking an iPhone.

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database.

So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too) 

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you. 

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take Apple approximately from a few days upto a further 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Hi, 

thanks for the response but it doesn’t really answer my question.

even when the request is made to the manufacturer to unlock phone, can Vodafone refuse to do it?

BandOfBrothers

Hi @RebeccaGal 

Vodafone can decide to not accept an unlock request if the phone hasn't been used on the Vodafone Network or the criteria set out in the unlocking page haven't been met or the phones imei has been blocked i.e blacklisted.

Apple will only unlock an iPhone that's locked to Vodafone if Vodafone ask them.

They won't engage with the owner of an iPhone directly.

May i ask why you think Vodafone Uk would refuse ?

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

I’m just asking out of curiosity as Vodafone doesn’t seem to have a good reputation when it comes to these sort of thing and it’s concerning. I’ve been a customer with them for many years. I have received my email to say they are getting phone unlocked but after reading some of the Q&As on here, Vodafone aren’t easily trusted.

BandOfBrothers

Ah OK @RebeccaGal 

So what we see is that typically people sign up to the forum to vent about a bad experience, and in many cases rightly so.

Not so much for positive experiences.

We do see instances where people aren't fully aware that it's Apple that unlock their phones centrally i.e no Nuc after being asked by Vodafone, and it can take up to 30 days extra occasionally as it's Apple in full control.

Some other models require extra steps such as shortcodes and MCK Mastercodes also known as an unfreeze code which can then delay the process as the person needs to re contact Vodafone for support.

Vodafone really need to supply these Mastercodes with the Nuc and better unlocking instructions too.

Ofcom are moving towards getting Networks to supply phones unlocked out of the box which is a welcomed move.

For Vodafone UK to deny unlocking from the get-go then something must be wrong in the first instance. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >