Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking Iphone 8

5amsung04
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I have an iphone 8 that i got second hand,

Its locked to vodaphone but brought from carphone warehouse. Im trying to unlock it and Vodafone says it should be unlocked and Carphone Warehouse say they wont do it. Is there a solution to this or is this phone just permanently locked to vodafone because no one wants to take responsibility for it. (also, apple wont do anything).

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @5amsung04 

Carphone Warehouse sell all phones unlocked and ready to be used on any network and you will find the phone won't be locked to any network. Taken from the Carphone website; 

Our phones are unlocked! 

Most of the phones we sell aren't locked to a network, including almost all of our SIM free phones. That means you can put any UK SIM card into your phone and enjoy the benefits of whichever UK network you prefer.

If you are having problems using a alternative SIM in the phone there will be a different issue. As this is a second hand device you need to take this up with the seller.

Also check for any IMEI block or lost or stolen bar here https://www.checkmend.com/uk/

BandOfBrothers

Carphone Warehouse used to sell iPhone's that locked out to the 1st sim inserted into it.

They have thankfully stopper that practice.

If the phone is locked then pick up a Vodafone Payg sim card and use that in the phone to make a few calls and use the new payg information in the Nuc to unlock.

You no longer have to wait 30 days to do this.

That or unlock it via a reputable online unlocking site or use a reputable Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phone's.

Apple won't engage with you in regards to unlocking an iPhone that's locked to a network I'm afraid.

I wish you all the best with this @5amsung04 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thnx for the quick reply, I’ve had a vodaphone sim in the phone as you suggested for the last month and it hasn’t helped anything. Has any one ever solved this problem because it surely can’t just be me

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @5amsung04 

If Vodafone's systems are showing as the iPhone is unlocked as it's status then they can't approach Apple to ask for it's unlocking.

Ultimately it's Apple that releases the phone from their locked status,  not Vodafone.

I have seen past posts here and on the official Apple Community Forum where people have encountered similar issues.

Also if the phone isn't imei blacklisted then it's certainly a conundrum.

Sometimes hooking upto iTunes can help.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @5amsung04 

I would go back to the seller about this, if the phone was originally purchased through Carphone, it would never have been locked to any network.

As this is an Apple device, if the phone was purchased direct from Vodafone, it should already be unlocked here: Unlock My Phone 

Try a different activated connecting to the network alternative SIM in the phone and synchronise to itunes. 

As you have been using a PAYG SIM in the phone, this may well be something the Social Team can help with through Twitter or Facebook social channels here: Contact Us