Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving eSim to new iPhone

vgopal
4: Newbie

Does anyone here or know or someone from Vodafone explain the correct process for moving an existing eSim from an iPhone to a new iPhone.

I suspect with the new phone being released soon many people will be in the same situation and I want to avoid any potential issues and be stuck without service.

116 REPLIES 116

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's great to see so many people are taking advantage of being able to use an eSIM and this journey is as simple and pain free as we hoped. To switch over to an eSIM, follow the simple steps laid out in our online guide, thanks to @jamesshelford for posting this earlier 👍 If you have any difficulties when doing this, please drop us a message through one of our social channels and we'll be happy to take a look and help get you switched over!

I've just followed the instructions above and despite a QR code appearing on the website with a message saying 'Your eSim swap request for iOS device is complete', it wasn't valid. I'm now in the same position as a few weeks ago waiting for service.

They say up to 24hrs however last time it took over 48hrs. The time before it took less than a minute! Has anyone done an eSim swap today? Any bottlenecks in emailing the new code? I'd rather have service sooner rather than later...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, new phone delivered at 10am and haven’t been able to use it. Didn't realise you couldn’t use the old esim QR as upgrade process never mentioned it. Sim swap went in at 11am and have had no service since and no sign of a QR code. 

This happened a few weeks ago and truthfully I thought they'd have had a proper guide for eSim to eSim swaps. There's no clear guidance or instruction from Vodafone sadly.

I'm having the same issue and haven't had use of my phone number all day.

I've gone to the website and diverted calls to my iPad SIM and put that in my old phone so that I can use data when I am walking the dog or at the shops. I've also not been able to transfer WhatsApp, banking apps or Apple Pay because I can't 2FA.

Called customer support a few times and they have been pretty unhelpful and told me I should call back tomorrow after 10 (which is when 24 hours will have elapsed) so that they can 'escalate and get someone to push the order through. Not sure why they can't escalate earlier when they know that the order will not complete but they're adamant that it will 'self resolve'

garetc
12: Established

Just called back and was told by someone that it needs to be 24 working hours not 24 hours. 

Am furious.

simax
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

24 working hours is a “fob-off”. How is that even defined? 

garetc

The person after 15 minutes said I had changed what I was asking for i.e. wasn’t listening when I said eSIM three times. 

My order was placed yesterday at 11:21 and needs to be escalated once 24 hours has passed (which will take another 24 hours no doubt). 

Now they’re calling me back after 12:00 to ‘make sure’ because it could within the next few minutes. 

This is the exact same issue I encountered a few weeks ago with the original iPhone 12 launch. One person said to follow Apple’s iCloud eSim transfer instructions, the other said to scan the old QR code and another said to switch to a physical sim to come back to eSim.

This is precisely why I posted on here earlier this week, and called Vodafone, to clarify the exact method of transferring from eSim to eSim before something like this would happen. No one seems to know. Working hours is nothing but a fob off quite frankly. Last time it took over 48 hours, let’s just hope it doesn’t take this long...

I’d have gone to a store and picked up a physical SIM but they’re closed at the moment.

I’m not holding my breath that it will be resolved before Monday or that I’ll get a call back.