main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

NAT type 3 whilst tethering PS4, how can I fix this?

JOHNNY84
2: Seeker
Never had this problem until I switched to Vodafone yesterday on PayM contract, please help.
View more options
27 REPLIES 27
Amanda

Hi @JOHNNY84

When you tether via any mobile device, the Playstation will automatically change your NAT to NAT Type 3, which means that access is restricted. You have access to the internet but you'll be unable to download/upload any data.

I'd recommend trying to change you DNS to Google DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4). 

You can do this by following these steps:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Go to Network.
  3. Go to Set Up Internet Connection.
  4. Select Wi-Fi/LAN depending on what you use to connect.
  5. Select Custom.
  6. IP Address Settings = Automatic.
  7. DHCP Host Name = Do Not Specify.
  8. DNS Settings = Manual. Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8. Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4.

Let me know how you get on.

View more options
JOHNNY84
Hi,

I can connect and download/upload data, but it severely restricts connectivity. I had 3 mobile in the past and did not encounter this problem.
Settings were updated as suggested but still to no avail. Is there anything you can tweak at your end with regards to my account?

Thanks,
Sean
View more options
Colleen

@JOHNNY84 

As this is a restriction put in place by Playstation, it’s not something we can change from our end, on your account.

The Google DNS settings Amanda mentioned above, usually allows unrestricted tethering access as it’s a trusted domain.

There may be other forum users on here, who can offer further workaround suggestions though. :Smiling:

View more options
OmarDays
1: Seeker

Hi, I have the same issue... That didn't solve the problem for me :Sad_face:

View more options
DaneB

Hi @OmarDays

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

View more options
Gingersnap3685

I'm having problems too 😣

View more options
Colleen

@Gingersnap3685 I'm sorry to hear you're also having these problems. Have you been able to try the steps advised by @Amanda at the beginning of this thread? If you have and you still need help with this, please follow the steps I've sent you in a private message with details on how to get in touch with us 😊

View more options
L33_eddie

Hi i am facing the same problem too. I have tried the solution and it did not work pls advise 

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

As this restriction is put in place by Playstation, we're unable to make any alternations to your account that would enable NAT 1 or 2 @L33_eddie.

You can try a Static IP on the Playstation, we can't guarantee this will work; could be worth a shot. Sorry we couldn't be of more help.  

View more options
Youss94
3: Seeker

Hi the limitation isn't put in place by playstation but by the ISP in this case Vodafone...  the main reason why this isn't working for people is purely because you provide private IP address to your sim cards instead of public ip address.. therefore the NAT will always be type 3 unless the ip is public then it will be type 2 and if the IP is in DMZ the Nat type would be 1. 

Stop putting this on playstation I was sole my new contract on the basis that I could play online by tethering but clearly that was a lie and I am still waiting for a call from your tech support which still didn't happen!

View more options
Dabbs

Hey @Youss94 thanks for getting in touch. We'll need to access your account so we can chase this up for you. 

Please contact us via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Make sure to pop your username and link to this thread in your message too, this will save you having to explain again and we can help you quicker. 

View more options
chpinheiro

What do you do after step 8? Asks about Proxy Use or Do not Use?

View more options
Stubbo

Afternoon @chpinheiro,

Are you referring to after step 8 on these steps? 

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Go to Network.
  3. Go to Set Up Internet Connection.
  4. Select Wi-Fi/LAN depending on what you use to connect.
  5. Select Custom.
  6. IP Address Settings = Automatic.
  7. DHCP Host Name = Do Not Specify.
  8. DNS Settings = Manual. Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8. Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4.

You shouldn't need to use a specific proxy server, so could you please try clicking 'Do not use'? Let me know how you get on! 

View more options
chpinheiro

Thanks for replying. After step 8 it says "MTU settings, Automatic or Manual?" Clicked manual.

Then it says about proxy and I said do not use.

Tested it again and still comes up with NAT3 and a low mbps :Sad_face:

View more options
Beth

@chpinheiro Vodafone uses iPv4 and online gaming through a tether requires iPv6. This has been raised and we're looking into updating this, however there is no time frame on it. 

I would recommend only using consoles through a Wi-Fi/Ethernet connection in the meantime, or alternatively a static IP address as TJ suggested above, however we can't guarantee this will work.

View more options
Philbabba

There are threads from 2018/19 on this exact same issue. Vodaphone aren't going to do anything about this are they. Disappointing. 

View more options
chpinheiro

So how comes other networks can do it but Vodafone can't? A massive $b company and they can't speed up tethering. That's very disappointing, especially when I don't have wifi.

View more options
Beth

Hi all, we don't guarantee a connection via hotspotting or tethering. We can guarantee a connection directly to your device though. We are aware that our IP version needs improving to allow for the NAT type to change. We're working on this and will update you as soon as we have an update 🙂

View more options
Philbabba

This has been the reply for more than a year. Amazing that there is no mention of this issue when purchasing your packages. Your posting a smiley emoji but I don't see why anything about a reoccurring post of 'we can't help you' can possibly warrant a smile. It's bad customer service and ignorance of the customers issues. Disappointing. 

View more options