Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

So, in typical Vodafone fashion they have come out with a new feature and product that doesn’t work at launch - in-fact it does several unannounced and unauthorised credit checks.

So I received my brand new iPhone and Apple Watch today and I have to admit, they look fantastic, after opening the iPhone box and just seeing the magnificence that is the phone I am definitely happy with my purchase.

I open up the oddly packaged watch box and start to set it up, everything is fine except for when I got to the mobile data setup section- at first it looked promising a Vodafone log-in screen, “Awesome” I thought, so I logged in and all of a sudden it was asking me to add a subscription for £5 per month.. I thought this was strange as I was already paying for the watch now you’re trying to charge me more for a subscription, I knew it seems to be a mistake so I just glanced at the terms, it seemed normal just about linking them together so it made sense, I went ahead and clicked add subscription knowing that I would just call Vodafone and explain the situation if they tried to charge me more.

Anyway, it shows me a loading screen and I’m simply waiting for it to complete the link between my devices.

After a short while it went to a blank white screen and then... what’s this... I HAVE FAILED A CREDIT CHECK AND I HAVENT BEEN CHARGED?!?!?

So not only did it fail.. Vodafone has performed a credit check, without authorisation just to link it to my existing plan that I was already credit checked on?

Good one Vodafone, will be returning the watch and the device and leaving the network for good, this is the final straw, I’ve had nothing but trouble with you for 7 years and I’ve stuck by you, but you just cannot get anything right first time, EVER.

wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

Hi everyone,

OP here, I can’t believe this issue is still effecting some people, I get emails almost daily about updates for this, it’s crazy to think it still hasn’t been sorted for everyone.

i can now finally say all of my issues are resolved and everything is working fine, you have to be persistent and contact the directors team, standard help from the tech team does not work.

Contact Nick Jeffries team and hopefully you will get I resolved like I did.

View solution in original position

1,336 REPLIES 1,336

Mine still doesn’t work and no progress at all.

Well I’m gobsmacked, my watch is working! Came out of the house earlier and looked at my phone, it said ‘your carrier settings have been updated’!

went into the watch app and it’s showing the cellular plan and my watch works even if my phone is at home. Hurray they are fixing the issues finally 

Dont get too excited

@J8nno wrote:

Well I’m gobsmacked, my watch is working! Came out of the house earlier and looked at my phone, it said ‘your carrier settings have been updated’!

went into the watch app and it’s showing the cellular plan and my watch works even if my phone is at home. Hurray they are fixing the issues finally 

Please try it with the phone totally off and WiFi off on the watch!

i can’t make or receive normal calls?!

Yes I’ve turned phone off and disconnected Wi-Fi on Watch and everything works 

garethr
12: Established

@Corius wrote:

Takeaways:

Be nice to support, it's not their fault.

I’d absolutely challenge this given the way it was recently reported that the offshore CS staff are paid and incentivised. They’re reportedly paid/bonused based entirely on the outcome of the text survey you get after every call. Bad responses mean no payments which probably encourages them to lie and fob customers off with the ‘I’ve fixed it, wait 24 hours’ approach (hoping you answer the survey favourably within the 24 hours before you realise it was an elaborate ruse).

That kind of culture is rotten to the core. They need to learn first and foremost that customers value honesty and transparency over just hearing what they think they want to be told - go look at the watch preorder thread to see some of the utter gibberish and false promises people are given. 

@garethr

I’d absolutely challenge this given the way it was recently reported that the offshore CS staff are paid and incentivised. They’re reportedly paid/bonused based entirely on the outcome of the text survey you get after every call.  

You certainly can challenge, but I didn't deal with anyone offshore, and I didn't receive any surveys. Just a very helpful UK support lady.

My post was merely to explain my experience. I do have a number of phones with VF so perhaps I am receiving a preferential service? Indeed, thinking back, I always speak to UK call handlers.

I don't doubt that your experience is unsatisfactory, just pointing out that that isn't the case for everyone. In general it is always best to be polite and friendly with the hard pressed support folk.. By all means escalate if unhappy, but being rude, aggresive, or argumentative with call handlers is a guaranteed way to get put to the back of the queue. Much akin to being rude to waiters whio may then spit in your soup.

Similarlly threatening to cancel contracts is an idle threat. The number of  people buying cellular watch contracts, and the resultant income, is miniscule compared to the more traditional VF customer base.

Anyway, good luck in getting your issues resolved.

garethr

@RobeyJ wrote:

Surely it cant be that hard. EE can do it. Step 1 - Work Out root cause of the problem. Step 2 - schedule systems changes, automatic account changes, manual work arounds. Step 3 (should be step 0) - Comminicate to your customers and say sorry we wil get this sorted by xx/xx/xxxx. Step 4 - Test Changes. Step 5 - Implement changes. Step 6 - Light Cigar.

This. M

For anyone involved anywhere in the IT industry this is absolute basics.

If I was the CEO given the level of direct customer complaints on this single issue, I’d be asking some serious questions to the CTO and head of customer ops. Vodafone already don’t exactly have a great reputation in the regulator’s eyes in terms of complaint handling...

Well my watch did work until last night when I called to terminate the second line on my account and guess what the watch hasn’t worked since I don’t know what the heck they did but I’ve been on the phone again today 3 times and I keep getting the error of my plan not being compatible... and guess what I have to wait again 24 hours when it worked fine yesterday until their retentions team messed things up for me. VODAFONE I HATE YOU, absolutely useless. GO TO EE. 

Alex, maybe you can help with my watch. For the last 3 weeks I have had my watch, I can’t get mobile data to work. I had it working one day and then it didn’t work again! I keep getting the attached message every time I try to connect! Countless times I have called and keep spinning round in circles and nobody can sort it for me! It’s really frustrating 

I'm having the exact saem problem (I think).  How do I get Vodafone to get in touch - the man on the phone this morning was not too much help