Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

So, in typical Vodafone fashion they have come out with a new feature and product that doesn’t work at launch - in-fact it does several unannounced and unauthorised credit checks.

So I received my brand new iPhone and Apple Watch today and I have to admit, they look fantastic, after opening the iPhone box and just seeing the magnificence that is the phone I am definitely happy with my purchase.

I open up the oddly packaged watch box and start to set it up, everything is fine except for when I got to the mobile data setup section- at first it looked promising a Vodafone log-in screen, “Awesome” I thought, so I logged in and all of a sudden it was asking me to add a subscription for £5 per month.. I thought this was strange as I was already paying for the watch now you’re trying to charge me more for a subscription, I knew it seems to be a mistake so I just glanced at the terms, it seemed normal just about linking them together so it made sense, I went ahead and clicked add subscription knowing that I would just call Vodafone and explain the situation if they tried to charge me more.

Anyway, it shows me a loading screen and I’m simply waiting for it to complete the link between my devices.

After a short while it went to a blank white screen and then... what’s this... I HAVE FAILED A CREDIT CHECK AND I HAVENT BEEN CHARGED?!?!?

So not only did it fail.. Vodafone has performed a credit check, without authorisation just to link it to my existing plan that I was already credit checked on?

Good one Vodafone, will be returning the watch and the device and leaving the network for good, this is the final straw, I’ve had nothing but trouble with you for 7 years and I’ve stuck by you, but you just cannot get anything right first time, EVER.

wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

Hi everyone,

OP here, I can’t believe this issue is still effecting some people, I get emails almost daily about updates for this, it’s crazy to think it still hasn’t been sorted for everyone.

i can now finally say all of my issues are resolved and everything is working fine, you have to be persistent and contact the directors team, standard help from the tech team does not work.

Contact Nick Jeffries team and hopefully you will get I resolved like I did.

View solution in original position

1,336 REPLIES 1,336

Rinnging either number should call the phone/watch :Smiling: if it’s all working correctly 

chistery
16: Advanced member

I don't get SMS messages though when my phone is turned off.

@christery I just put my phone in flight mode and checked my watch had 4G green sent myself an iMessage from another Apple device and it came through to my watch?? did your watch connect to the 4G network when you switched off or flight mode? can take a little bit to connect 

Yes I have 2 numbers all working fine 

chistery

iMessage uses data though. Looks like SMS doesn't work, similar to when on VoWiFi I guess. 

I’ve no clue what Plan I am on with reference to CTR12/13 or what not but I know I have Red Value 5GB plan which is due to expire March 2019, and I looked my Watch Plan expires 2020 but has 60GB data holy cow lol, oh and MyVodafone app is borked as it won’t let me see my plan information just says error working on it and it also doesn’t show my watch plan either 

Mines showing 60gb not sure what that’s about

@Odinn74 wrote:

Mines showing 60gb not sure what that’s about

The watch plan has 60GB extra data.

atleast that’s what I was told, not that i am able to reap the benefits at the minute.

Likewise position to many others here. Received IPhone X S Max (as an upgrade) on Friday along with the Apple Watch Series 4. 

Initially gobsmacked that Vodafone delivered on launch day - credit to them for that. 

Thats however where the credit ends... as ever, Vodafone always have a sting in the tail. 

Since Friday I have been speaking to customer services (191) several times, even popped in to my local store yesterday. Nobody seems to have a ‘straight answer’, the most common I am getting is that the order is still ‘Open’ and requires a super-user to manually check the order and complete it... Everytime the now famous line of “this may take up to 24 hours” is used. 

Lets get this very straight Vodafone - as a customer I don’t care if the order is open, closed or indifferent. Get it sorted! Train your staff to a sufficient technical level who have the ability to resolve these issues. This is NOT new technology it has been around for several years - you are late adopting it and implementing it (very poorly). 

I shouldn’t be wasting my time contacting various locations around the world who are purely seeking ‘positive feedback’ from the customer and making false promises. Why can’t someone put their hand up and admit that you have failed to deliver, put a timescale on the resolution and actually make an effort to redeem your sorry excuse for customer service. I don’t want compensation or a free wireless charger, I want the product I purchased in good faith to work as advertised. 

The lack of customer support is nothing but a shambles and needs urgent attention. How you retain customers is beyond me - there again, I was the fool who committed to another 24 months with you... for now anyway, maybe I should instigate the 30 day network guarantee clause and see if that is also as advertised? 

Nobody wants to be wasting their precious time dealing with what in reality is trivial, but you need to pull your fingers out and stop lying to your customers whether old or new. 

FINALLY, the open order is now complete.

but that’s not the end of my issues.

The data plan has activated on the watch successfully, however calls cannot he received on my mobile number when my phone is switched off. Calls made from the watch are under a separate number, which is not supposed to happen as it’s supposed to link in with your current number.

I called tech support who told me that Apple have told them the watch will not work if the phone is switched off..... what a load of ##~##. He said he cannot help me and I should call AppleCare. I have spoken to my case handler in apple care who will firstly be filing a report about Vodafone and assured me the watch is supposedly to work without the phone (I knew this already!) if they set it up correctly.

Vodafone are absolutely terrible. I would advise anyone with issues to let AppleCare on the phone know so they can file a report about Vodafone, as they are partners with Apple.

oh and strangely I got an email back from the people who work on this forum and was told Vodafone do not yet support the cellular functions on the Apple Watch.... why are you retailing it as if you do then?

the issues continue....