Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

So, in typical Vodafone fashion they have come out with a new feature and product that doesn’t work at launch - in-fact it does several unannounced and unauthorised credit checks.

So I received my brand new iPhone and Apple Watch today and I have to admit, they look fantastic, after opening the iPhone box and just seeing the magnificence that is the phone I am definitely happy with my purchase.

I open up the oddly packaged watch box and start to set it up, everything is fine except for when I got to the mobile data setup section- at first it looked promising a Vodafone log-in screen, “Awesome” I thought, so I logged in and all of a sudden it was asking me to add a subscription for £5 per month.. I thought this was strange as I was already paying for the watch now you’re trying to charge me more for a subscription, I knew it seems to be a mistake so I just glanced at the terms, it seemed normal just about linking them together so it made sense, I went ahead and clicked add subscription knowing that I would just call Vodafone and explain the situation if they tried to charge me more.

Anyway, it shows me a loading screen and I’m simply waiting for it to complete the link between my devices.

After a short while it went to a blank white screen and then... what’s this... I HAVE FAILED A CREDIT CHECK AND I HAVENT BEEN CHARGED?!?!?

So not only did it fail.. Vodafone has performed a credit check, without authorisation just to link it to my existing plan that I was already credit checked on?

Good one Vodafone, will be returning the watch and the device and leaving the network for good, this is the final straw, I’ve had nothing but trouble with you for 7 years and I’ve stuck by you, but you just cannot get anything right first time, EVER.

wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

Hi everyone,

OP here, I can’t believe this issue is still effecting some people, I get emails almost daily about updates for this, it’s crazy to think it still hasn’t been sorted for everyone.

i can now finally say all of my issues are resolved and everything is working fine, you have to be persistent and contact the directors team, standard help from the tech team does not work.

Contact Nick Jeffries team and hopefully you will get I resolved like I did.

View solution in original position

1,336 REPLIES 1,336

You need to do a tarriff migration. It’s saying that because you must have got your phone/plan before April 2018. By doing a tarriff migration you basically end up changing your plan and probably will end up paying more a month. This is just another thing that Vodafone don’t bother telling you when you first get the watch. I’m paying £10 more now but I’m not too fussed because I get a shed loads of data in return which comes in handy anyway, but nonetheless, no one tells you this. We’ve been completely msissold.

@SteLFC wrote:

You need to do a tarriff migration. It’s saying that because you must have got your phone/plan before April 2018. By doing a tarriff migration you basically end up changing your plan and probably will end up paying more a month. This is just another thing that Vodafone don’t bother telling you when you first get the watch. I’m paying £10 more now but I’m not too fussed because I get a shed loads of data in return which comes in handy anyway, but nonetheless, no one tells you this. We’ve been completely msissold.

I got this tariff this month I have the iPhone XS Max and preordered both the phone and the watch at the same time so mine should have worked out of the box, should being the key word there.

Oh my word. It’s an absolute joke isn’t it? I don’t even know what to say anymore if I’m honest.

Just thought I’d drop a quick update in here... 

Around 23:00 last night I had a message (not text/email - more of an iPhone notification) pop up on my phone saying my data settings had changed, clicked ok, checked the Apple Watch app and low and behold everything was working - Apple Watch now also showing as connected to a data plan. 

I have escalated this this to the highest level as I am still fuming that I was repeatedly told the supplied watch would be Stainless Steel, thankfully I have this in black and white and have sent my complaint to the CEO (albeit his team of complaints staff). 

The only thing (maybe out of the ordinary) I did was log in via a browser (not the app) to my Vodafone account, strangely enough 10-15 mins later I had this notification and all is working. This may be total ‘fluke’ but whether that triggered a process I have no idea. 

As I’m still in the cooling off period I will wait and see what reply I get from my complaint and then make a decision whether to stay or go and if further action is necessary. After speaking to Apple Support over the weekend it appears this has been a disastrous launch for Vodafone and the advisor at Apple light heartedly joked I was just one of the hundreds of customers he had spoken to with exactly the same issue... and no support. 

I feel everyone’s anger that is still going through this ridiculous situation, sadly Vodafone still can’t put their hands up and admit (yet again) they can’t deliver on-time. 

Best of luck guys and girls... My advice would be escalation to the communication ombudsman if you genuinely feel you have been ‘sold a lie’ and ultimately end up paying more than initially agreed. Remember, a verbal agreement IS a legally binding contract  and liability for breach of contract is a viable avenue should you feel strongly enough. As Vodafone make it clear they record all of their calls for training and monitoring it should be a simple process to request those recordings under a Freedom Of Informarion request or via the GDPR route. 

I've recently moved to Vodafone :Crying_Face:

I bought an iphone XS and a Series 4 Cellular watch direct from Apple.

I bought a Red Entertainment pack SIMO from Vodafone via telephone last week (£30pm). I explained it was for an iphone, and I required the esim gubbins to make it work with an apple watch also. They explained I'd pay an additional £5pm but I'd get an additional 5 or 10Gb to use across both devices. As I wanted to port a number across to Voda, they told me to wait until the porting had gone through before trying to activate the mobile data on the watch.

Today, they ported my number accross, which seemed to go well, and I attemped to set up Mobile Data on the watch. Like a lot of you, it seemed to go ok, but only so far. In my watch app, Settings > Mobile Data > Data Plan, it now says "Waiting" and I have the wee spinny wheel thing.

I rang support, they confirmed a lot of basic settings, then prior to escalating to level 3, they made me reset the phone network settings (didnt make any difference), then full reset of the phone, (no differednce,) then an unpair of the watch, and readding the data plan. (back to square one, "waiting...")

They have taken a note of my phones IMEI, and the EID whoch they put in a form for level 3 support - and told me "Someone will ring me or send a text message with a solution in about a week" !!!!!!!!!!

Unacceptable, and very disappointing. Agent seemed to suggest that these teething troubles were to be expected with new technology. :Confused_face: No. No they are not.

If I leave Voda now, under the network (notwork) guarentee, will they give me a PAC code so I dont lose my telephone number? Thanks.

52474F37-44C5-4EEE-BA0B-E313115272CE.jpeg

Just came through to me

looking forward to those extra 60GB

Still doesn’t work but progress I guess

dave

Cant see the pic sorry mate, nothing showing up. Is it a welcome email off Vodafone? Got one myself about an hour ago. Yeah, hopefully a step in the right direction

Just got the same

Yep welcome one. Still not in the app but it’s on the website as additional number 

fingers crossed this is the ride starting. 

Store did say to me the numbers would merge merge on the bill next month...

Got one today.

Spoke to the guy on the phone that i spoke to yesterday (along with a woman from tech support that knew NAFF all and did nothing apart from PEE me off)

The guy said his manager caught him as he walked in today and said he had already spoken to upper management to make them aware. they've had LOTS more calls about the issue today so they are aware and are in the process of sorting it.

Hes going to ring me back wednesday as he's not in tomorrow and he said hopefully it will be working by then.

To the previous poster who stated they had told him that the service isnt fully available yet. this is BS, as confirmed by the guy i spoke too as plenty of people's watches are working.