Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Support for eSIM in the iPhone Xs?

jayguevara
4: Newbie

Hi, 

Anyone know if vodafone will support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs? I know that vodafone has joined EE in supporting eSIMs in the Apple Watch 4, however there doesn't seem to be any information on whether that is the case with the new iPhone Xs. 

I travel a lot and would make my life so much easier if Vodafone did support the eSIM in the new iPhone Xs! 

310 REPLIES 310

I have the unlocked Xs so can’t wait to move my Voda contract to the esim so I can use my virgin nano sim as well no more carrying 2 phones

smaruzzi
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Based on what shown on the Apple UK site, yes, it will be supported. Stefano

Pierre_M
1: Seeker

Not yet. 

Vodafone just told me that it won't be activated for a while and I was mentioned 2020 as a probable date.  Thus, unless Vodafone changes its policy, the esim on Iphone XS won't be available with Vodafone UK until 2020. 

I am just returning my Iphone XS Max to Vodafone received yesterday for this reason.

chistery
16: Advanced member

Vodafone weren't listed as a launch partner. Not sure why anyone would assume Vodafone would have it working at the same time as EE and buy a phone based on that.

If e-sim will be supported, I don't see any reason why it won't roam, am I right ? The Apple Watch e-SIM does not roam due to some other reason, not the e-sim. And regarding Vodafone beeing a e-SIM partner, I can't find any information about that on the Apple's website, besides the Apple Watch.

chistery

@catean wrote:

If e-sim will be supported, I don't see any reason why it won't roam, am I right ? The Apple Watch e-SIM does not roam due to some other reason, not the e-sim. And regarding Vodafone beeing a e-SIM partner, I can't find any information about that on the Apple's website, besides the Apple Watch.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/

1. eSIM will be available later this year through a software update. Use of eSIM requires a wireless service plan (which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after contract expiration). Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209044.

and

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096

AFAIK if your phone is unlocked then it will support eSim. That being the case, and seeing as we're Vodafone customers already why are you fussed whether Vodafone offers a eSim plan?

Only EE will support the esim in the iPhone XS from launch.

Vodafone will add it at some point in the future, no one really knows when. It won't be this month, that seems obvious.

That's not how I read it. The way I read it is that EE will be the only UK carrier to offer an eSim plan, so all unlocked phones will thus be able to sign up to an EE plan as a secondary line.

@rasputin1969 wrote:

That's not how I read it. The way I read it is that EE will be the only UK carrier to offer an eSim plan, so all unlocked phones will thus be able to sign up to an EE plan as a secondary line.

Yes, that's correct.

What you can't do (for now) is convert your existing Vodafone SIM to an eSIM and then use another SIM in the phone.