Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cant use data when on a voice call

andyjenkins
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra, with both SIM and an eSIM.  

When not on WiFI (eg 4g) I'm unable to use data whilst on a voice call. 

When on WiFi everything works as expected.

Mobile data when not on a voice call works fine. 

I think I understand why this happens... in that the voice call causes the network to drop to 2g.. which doesn't work for data.. I've read that enabling VoLTE resolves.. but I also think this is on my default for VF customers ?  At least I can't find a ny VoLTE settings.

Any suggestions?  Both SIMs are Pay Monthly and the S21 is running Android 12.

6 REPLIES 6

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

A traditional voice call goes out over 2G and 3G only. For voice calls to work over 4G you need to enable VoLTE, and even then, it's not a traditional 2G / 3G voice call. It's a kind of VoIP (Voice Over Long-Term Evolution) call that uses your 4G data connection to process the call. If you disable VoLTE and make a call with full 4G or 5G signal, the call goes out over 3G. If the call goes out over 2G it's because you have no 3G coverage and if you have no 3G coverage you won't have 4G or 5G coverage either.

VoLTE setting is located here:

Settings > Connection > Mobile networks > VoLTE calls SIM 1

Diolch Paul 🙂

No VoLTE option for me..

Screenshot_20220421-090048_Call settings.jpg

If you don't have an option to turn on VoLTE then it's not enabled on your account and neither will be WiFi Calling.

Text CALLING to 97888, and it will add the WiFi calling within 24 hours. You will then also have the VoLTE option.

Tried the 'calling' to 97888, but 5 days later no change.  I do, and always did have WiFi calling option though..  

Screenshot_20220426-203600_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20220426-203550_Call settings.jpg

Hi @andyjenkins, some great information provided by @WelshPaul, if you've tried all of these steps and you still have no luck, we may need to take a look at the Vodafone account. Please send our team a message on Twitter or Facebook and include your Community username. You can find the social media contact details here, when you do send a private message, select 'Speak to adviser' to get connected. You'll have to keep us updated with how you get on. 

Then Vodafone should try removing VoLTE/WiFi calling from the account (if it's shown as being enabled) and re-enabling it. Hopefully this will reset things and get you up and running. This has worked for me in the past when data didn't work on my phone. I had to enable the data bar on my Vodafone account, wait a few minutes and disable it just to get data working on my phone.