Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile tethering, connect to laptop no internet

Dagger22
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi 

I'm having so much trouble trying to connect my laptop to the internet via mobile hotspot / tethering.

I can connect the mobile to the laptop and it recognises everything, but when I go to the browser it can't connect.

I've tried everything, so am at a loss.

Does anyone think that Vodafone are blocking me from doing this ?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Dagger22 

No Vodafone won't be blocking this type of connection.

I would suggest to check all the relevant settings in the laptop to ensure none are hindering the connection including any relevant security software.

Also check in your phones relevant settings please.

As a process of elimination can you try hang your phone as a hotspot to connect another device i.e another phone or tablet etc.

As the hotspot feature is working there should be no need to contact Vodafone customer services but it wont hurt just go ask them that your account has been provisioned for tethering.

Live Chat,  via calling 191 or the Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries/ Vodafone Social Media Teams  all have account access. 

I've performed a Google Search to see if there is information and troubleshooting available and there is quite a bit of advice and information available. 

One site is https://www.weboost.com/blog/mobile-hotspot-connected-but-no-internet 

I hope the above helps.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've tried this on 3 different operating systems, windows/ Linux and Chromebook,

All connect to the mobile but won't use it's data to connect to the internet etc.

I've sent the team on twitter a message, see if they respond, as I do believe tethering is restricted.

Thanks

Just connected to another Mobile, again came back with no internet access.

Got to be restricted

AnnS

Vodafone do not restrict tethering, you are free to use the allowance as you wish @Dagger22 

You need to follow device guides to set up the hotspot here: Device Guides 

Please also refer to these two previous threads

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/mobile-hotspot-not-working-after-receiving-new-settings-from...

This is quite an old thread but the information would be the same https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/No-Internet-access-via-WIFI-hotspot/td-p/2567046

You are also dependent on a mobile phone signal, check you have a reasonable signal.

Thank you for your reply

Tried all the above guides etc , still the same outcome

Hi 

I'm On the unlimited lite @ £22.30, for that price I'd expect it to work 

AnnS

Yes it should work @Dagger22 but bearing in mind the unlimited lite has a speed restriction and to use hotspot, you would need a reasonable speed.

edited to add:  check the speed you are achieving for the connection from the My Vodafone application.

Hi

4G download speed of 2.2mb

Thanks

hrym

When you say you tried another phone, was this using the same SIM, or another number on the same account?

If you have two phones available, can you use one of them as a hotspot for the other?   If that works, it would suggest that it isn't a Vodafone issue, but trying a different number/account would also verify.

The fact that you've tried different operating systems would tend to rule out driver issues, I'd have thought and I assume you can connect via normal wifi with no problems?