Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Stubbo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @geedub and @BellaMafiosa,

We've got all of the examples needed to raise this, prior to @Tash private messaging some of you guys. If we have an update, or need any more examples, we'll PM some more people tho have the issue. Have a great rest of the week!

Thanks Stubbo.  Can you please share what the fix is,  or what the next steps are?

I am having the same issue.  My phone upgraded on 01/06/20, and it started cutting off on 2/7/20 whilst on the phone to Sky....so not ideal. Didn't think anything of it until it happened again, and then again.  Found this thread so have been hoping for some answers.

Contacted vodafone on chat, they advised me to do various things, ie switch to 3g manually find network, turn off and on etc...nothing worked.  Actually spoke to someone who said to clear cache and that should do it.   Well funny enough, it did, I cut the call off at 35 mins.   However, since then its gone back to 29mins 50secs unless on 3g. 

They are sending a new sim, however don't hold out much hope to be honest on looking at previous posts.  I don't see how it can be sim if its ok on 3g.   I think its got something to do with update, but I would like it sorted as 3g is obviously ok for calls but not for everything else, and swapping it each time is not the idea.  Hopefully someone will be able to sort this.

The UK  XZ1C uses the Google Phone App so it may be a compatibility problem between Vodafone and the Phone App, not just Pixel phones.

I have a XZ1C but I have never made a phone call of that length before so I don't know if I have the same problem, I have recently noticed that I no longer get SMS Delivery reports though.   

There is a solution.  Buy a different handset.  This will never be fixed.  Trust me.

Hi,

Why is this issue on-going for so long? Is no-one from Vodafone monitoring this Forum and feeding this back to a specific Technical team, to get the issue resolved? Just talking on a Forum won't fix anything. The first post in this thread was in April 2020 and here we are, almost in February 2021, and I and many others are still getting calls terminated at 29m 50s.

It's awful. If this isn't resolved very soon, I will be contacting OFCOM. Maybe everyone else should too, to highlight the issue further and actually get Vodafone to do something about its poor service. More complaints - more action.

Neil.

Ofcom sounds like a very good idea. I don't think Vodafone are taking this seriously.

I have been made redundant and had a phone interview last week which was cut off at exactly 29m 50s. Not good. Don't think I'll be getting that job!! 

@KirstyD85 - sorry to hear that you were cut-off during a job interview and I hope you were able to call back and explain the situation. Good luck in the job hunt. I too have had several important calls to banks and financial companies cut off. You get put in a queue for 15 minutes or more so when you are finally connected, you only have a few minutes to talk before getting cut-off. I'm getting really hacked-off now.

If it's a network/Vodafone issue, they need to fix it. If it is the handset, then they shouldn't be sold through Vodafone as they are not fit-for-purpose.

Here's the OFCOM website if you wish to make a complaint - Make a complaint - Ofcom

Neil.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened @KirstyD85.

I've chased this up with the investigating team again this morning, as the last update I had was that we'd raised this to our Logistics department. 

When searching through Google's and Sony's forums, they've suggested switching the phone to safe mode to see whether this is caused by an app. Others have also mirrored our thread here, stating that switching to 3G only has been a temporary workaround if removing the Wi-Fi and 4G Calling feature from their account hasn't been the fix.

For those affected on Pixel phones, you can find out how to switch to safe mode to test this on Google's support page. If using a Sony phone, please follow the steps on Sony's safe mode page.

Should this not resolve things, you can switch to 3G only in your phone settings when following the steps for your phone in our device guide when searching 'Select network mode'.

I appreciate this has been ongoing and I'd like to apologise again for any inconvenience this has caused during this time. Rest assured we're pushing for answers and working hard to ensure this is resolved, so that you can use 4G calls or Wi-Fi Calling as normal. I'll continue to post any updates as soon as I have them on the thread here.

Hi all,

I was one of the first people to raise this issue.  Calls dropping seriously impacted my work and ultimately I couldn't wait for Vodafone or Google to fix it.  My first step was to replace the handset to a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro which worked immediately and then secondly I migrated off of Vodafone onto EE.

I am deeply disappointed that a year later that this has not been fixed.  

Not acceptable at all.  Absolutely disgraceful customer service.