Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone, I've received an update from the team who've advised that software including the fix for this issue was approved and released to Pixel 3 and above in early December 2020. They've confirmed this now looks to have resolved the issue. Please ensure you have the latest Android version installed if using a Google Pixel.

I've also been advised the equipment on our network which is the root cause of the issue is being removed, with a completion date being end of March to wipe out these instances regardless of which Android version your phone will be using.

For Sony phones, a fix hasn't yet been put in place regarding the software and once our changes are completed by the end of March, this should also fix the issue across different devices.
If you have any further questions regarding this, please let me know.

Given the endless hours I have spent on calls to the Vodafone tech team trying to get this resolved, (and being told it was a handset issue when it clearly wasn't given the variation in devices/OS etc. and the only common connection being Vodafone...) the hundreds of calls I've had dropped, the endless frustration that has caused, the fact I still can't use 4G to make a call longer than 29m 50s and have not been receiving the service I have been paying for, now that Vodafone has identified the issue will I and others on this forum who have had to put up with this be properly compensated? As others have said, absolutely disgraceful it has taken this long. And for other Sony handset users like myself will continue until at least March! 

So to clarify as a don't user, this fix will be in place by end of March? 12 months after the issue started?

Not happy to have been paying monthly for a service which I have not received. Appalling service. 

*as a Sony user 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @donnydeadlight, we'll be happy to take a look into this for you. As we'll need access to your account to do this, pop us a private message via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK

We're still looking into this @KirstyD85, although we hope to get another software update to fix this, if we don't get this done before the end of March, it'll definitely be wiped out when we update our hardware. 

So it could be later than end of march for us Sony users? That really is appalling. A year. A year paying for a service we're not being provided with as set out in a contract between both parties. I expect sufficient compensation will be issued?

In the meantime, hopefully ofcom can help to settle this. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think you misunderstood my message @KirstyD85. The latest it will be is the end of March when we update our hardware. If we're able to get a software fix through before then, it may be sooner.

Hi,

Do you think you could get a message out to the call centres/Live Chat people who think that sending out new SIM cards is the solution please? I have lost many important phone calls with this ridiculous situation and over the New Year period, I ended up spending hours on the Live Chat, with people who clearly have no clue. I was sent a new SIM. Two in fact, for some reason.....did it work? No! Of course not. 

I have to ask though - what is the hardware problem that stops a phone call after 29m 50s? Who invented and gave the go-ahead for the installation of that?  Was it not tested and checked before purchase, installation and commissioning?  The whole saga baffles me. It is unbelievable. 1. Why are calls getting terminated in the first place - what is causing it? 2. Why has there not been a solution for nearly a year since the first complaint on this thread alone - this could have been happening for years? 3. Why have we been left in the dark with nothing from Vodafone from what I can see; only a few people saying that they switch off their wi-fi calling or 4G and it fixes the problem for them? 4. Who is responsible?

I, like many others are paying premium prices for what should be a premium service, and I am not getting it. I mentionned a few days ago about contacting OFCOM which I may still do, as I do not feel there is a guarantee that whatever is coming in eight weeks time will solve this 100%.

I hope there is a hefty discount when I come to renew my contract - if I do.

Regards,

Neil.

As a Sony handset user who continues to experience this issue, and has done now since June of last year, I have escalated this formally through Vodafone complaints and the response quite frankly has been appalling! I have been redirected back to your tech team for more pointless troubleshooting where it is clear from posts in this forum that VF have finally acknowledged it's own internal hardware/software/infrastructure as the root cause of the issue. As per previous posts, for a company whose core business is communication, it has been abysmal at all levels, and clearly no internal comms to customer advisors or your tech teams has gone out, meaning that they are still wasting customers (and thier own) time in taking people through pointless hours of troubleshooting and sending out SIM cards that will make no difference. During the course of my complaint one of your customer relations team had the audacity to imply I was being dishonest about this issue in order to get compensation. When I directed him to this thread he informed me he couldn't see any of the relevant posts because he was 'working from home'!! and that even if he could, anyone could post here and so he 'couldn't trust' any information in this thread!! I have been with Vodafone for 15 continuous years, and can honestly say I have never experienced such utterly unprofessional, arrogant and now patently offensive and dishonest customer service. It is quite frankly a disgrace, and something Vodafone should be truly ashamed of. I would encourage any users who continue to experience this issue to contact OFCOM as I will be doing for an independent and impartial review. Vodafone and its customer relations leadership should hang their heads low in shame. Disgusted.

I have the same problem, on a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact, still happening today.

It's good to hear that it will be resolved at last within 5 days as that's how many are left in March.

Just on the off chance you fail to meet this commitment, what compensation are Vodafone offering?