Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

As we have advised @neilhunter14 we are asking customers for specific information relating to the issue. With this information we are then raising individual cases as examples of the problem. As this is not an issue that is affecting every user of the device, we need to raise as many cases as we can in order for it to be thoroughly investigated and resolved. 

I know. You've been asking this for nearly three years. It's beyond a joke now. Sorry, but your customers are fed up. Not a single person from Technical has helped. Moderators come and go. Nothing resolved. Why?

It's frustrating for us as well @neilhunter14 as we don't want to have to keep saying there is no update or we need more examples. Unfortunately this is what the team handling the investigation are saying though so until we get more information from them, we just need to keep providing cases to them. I know it's frustrating and I am genuinely sorry about it. 

Thank you.

Can I ask one thing? Why don't you simply replace the handsets when someone complains? It makes no sense to leave customers in this predicament. It would be so cost effective to do so, based on the amount of ill feelings generated. I've spoken about my issues to many colleagues and friends and they'll never use Vodafone based on what I've said (so I'm told). That's a lot of potential lost business for the sake of simply replacing my handset. Mad business strategy.

@Effie "We are aware that this information has been given and we have now issued a communication to the Social Media team to advise them on what information they need from customers accounts and how to raise these cases"

The mod team have said this repeatedly that the Social Media team have been made aware of this, yet this problem is consistent and continues. It took several attempts for me to raise the issue and link to this thread before I got someone to listen to the problem I was actually experiencing and make a note of it.

You go on to say that "this is not an issue that is affecting every user of the device" - how do you know this? Because you (Vodafone as a whole) have made it so difficult to communicate effectively about this issue, how many people have gotten frustrated and given up trying to communicate about this issue? I sure know I got bored trying to talk about it and gave up for a few months. Also, with the Find X3 Pro in particular, I had been told that this was passed onto Oppo who were going to push a software update to fix this - which suggest that this does happen to everyone, or at least a very significant percentage of devices? If it was just a "me problem" then I'd surely have been told to factory reset my device, or to get a new SIM or similar.

Having to go through the social media team to report this issue is a huge waste of everyone's time. After knowing that this has been an issue across multiple devices over an almost two year period, I can't believe no one has thought to create a better way of collecting data about this issue? Why not create an email address or a web form that you make semi-public for people to submit their experiences? Going to someone on social media and hoping that they don't fob you off with some irrelevant (and oft out of date) help page on the Vodafone website so you can give them some details is so painful.

I spent several hours of my free time testing this issue to send someone on Twitter some data of this issue occurring. The vague and lacking communication I had as a result of this is really poor. My Vodafone-supplied Oppo Find X3 Pro has had 2 firmware releases since I submitted my testing, but the release notes are uselessly vague and no one has been in touch to give me an indication as to whether or not a fix has actually been found.

Getting this information collected and submitted for investigation by Vodafone needs to be significantly less frustrating than it currently is.

Edit: Last thing I'll say on the matter is that I am not directing any of this at you Steph, or anyone else on the mod team, just frustration at the overall situation and how Vodafone as a whole is coming across as inflexible and unreactive when dealing with a significant issue like this.

Hi,

I have the same issue with calls disconnecting after 29 minutes and 50 seconds on Google Pixel 7 Pro (Android 13) using WIFI calling.

I have no Vodafone signal at home. I used to use SureSignal, but as that has been discontinued I had to rely on Wifi calling ever since. I was using Huawei P30 with Wifi calling using the same SIM card without issues for calls longer than 60 minutes, but as soon as I put the SIM card to Gogole Pixel 7 Pro, calls disconnect just before 30 minutes.

I cannot turn off Wifi calling as I will have no way to make calls. Can you please let me know how to resolve calls dropping before 30 minutes mark?

Thank you,

Patrik

Vodafone has managed to resolve my Wifi Calling issue where all calls were disconnecting at 29 minutes and 50 seconds. This was not affecting calls made over 4G or 3G. Calls over Vodafone network lasted over an hour. Only calls over Wifi calling were disconnecting at 29 min 50 sec.

The solution for me was:

1) Vodafone disconnected my phone number from Vodafone services. They said it will take 2-3 hours, but it took 3 days to reconnect it. It was over the weekend though, so I think that played a role in the delay.

2) After Vodafone reconnected my phone number, the Wifi calling was still disconnecting calls ater 29min 50 seconds, but in next step they fixed it

3) Vodafone then reset my Wifi calling service/settigs on their side and asked me to restart my phone (Google Pixel 7 Pro). After restart I can now make calls over Wifi calling that last more than 60 minutes!

We have tried changing settings in Android developer mode, resetting wifi calling etc. nothing worked, until they disconnected my number from Vodafone, reconnected and then reset Wifi calling.

Hopefully this helps other people with same issue.

Update 11.11.2022:

When I call from my OLD Vodafone SIM using Google Pixel 7 Pro on 4G signal, it automatically switches to 3G. I found out that when you have "Adaptive Connectivity" enabled under "Settings > Network and Internet" Google Pixel 7 Pro doesn't use VoLTE, but switches back to 3G. I suspect this is battery saving feature, based on the Adapative Connectivity description. I didn't notice this when testing last time. 

I have retested call longer theough 4G network and it disconnected at 29min 50 seconds, same as WIFI Calling. Only 3G network was able to handle call longer than 30 min.

@repask  thought this thread had died a painful death. Glad you got the problem sorted. For me they never did this, I had my number disconnected and reconnected and even took out a 2nd contact for my Xiaomi phone and they could never sort either of those accounts! And trying to get advisors that will do these things is about a 1% chance anyway. Then the moderators come on here telling people it's firmware problems which as you have proved same as I did that it isn't the case. I only read 1 person who got sorted by a firmware update I think on a Oppo phone and I'm starting to think they just got fixed by some random fluke. I moved myself over to 3UK network months ago and the other people who were very active on this thread seem to have left it now. I had no problems since I left but still monitor thread occasionally because I see the concerning news that 3UK and Vodafone are considered doing some sort of merger of the networks and I'll be really really unimpressed if my problem comes back again on 3 because they merge with Voda.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I have the same issue with a Xiaomi 12S Ultra. Calls made on my Vodafone SIM disconnect after 29m50s.  I put the SIM in a Pixel 7 Pro and it's fine.  Very frustrating. An EE SIM is fine, took me ages to work out it was just the Vodafone SIM that it happened with.

@chistery Did you by any chance test call longer than 30 min over Vodafone Wifi calling with Google Pixel 7 Pro on Monday (7.11.2022) or before this date? Mine was not working as recently as last Friday (4.11.2022), but on Monday they resolved it.

I wonder if Vodafone has fixed this issue for all Google Pixel 7 Pro handsets this Monday, or if indeed somehow the different Iphone and Android OS revisions between OEM firmware and provider centric firmwares play a role in which Vodafone Wifi calling works and which doesn't?