Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy ZFold3 screen failure

Jamesp1721
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So. I bought a new fold 3 in November last year and a flip for my wife. We also have a galaxy tab s7 and home broadband all through Vodafone. 

Last week I closed the main folding screen on my fold and when I reopened it, it crunched and an air bubble appeared down the centre if the screen. I contacted Vodafone customer service (which I must say the automated system is a total nightmare and just kept sending me a text to go online! All I wanted was to speak to a human being) and when I finally got through I booked a collection to have the phone returned and sorted out. 

This morning I received an email claiming my phone was out of warranty. Strange as they come with a year warranty and the phone is only 3 months old. Contacted the repair centre only to be informed the LCD main folding screen is not covered. The person who I spoke to was particularly rude and condescending. I got transfered to another department who were more helpful but only to be told the same! How can a screen fail on a 3 month old device that had been kept in a genuine Samsung case (sent for free by Samsung as a promotional deal) and never dropped or abused (its an expensive device and I'm aware they aren't as tough as your average phone). I'm gobsmacked! Several forums I have been on report the same failure. Including an EE customer who had their phone replaced without question....

Vodafone have now told me I Nedd to go through Samsung. I didn't buy the device from Samsung so why are Vodafone trying to shirk responsibility for what is clearly a warranted issue on a handset they sold. Any help would be gratefully received. Already contacted trading standards.

Cheers

James

22 REPLIES 22

MarkD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jamesp1721, thanks for posting, we're sorry to hear the experience you're having trying to get your device repaired. The e-mail that you received about the phone being out of warranty, was this after the device has been physically review by our repairs team or did you not get to this stage? 

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. I sent the phone away on the 3rd. Got an email this morning saying it was out of warranty. The email was from the repair side of Vodafone. I wasn't offered a replacement or any help just told the warranty didn't cover the screen!? I've since had a call back offering me a new handset. Need to ring the repair centre again and conform this. Just seems like people are singing from different player sheets so to speak

James

MarkD
Community Manager
Community Manager

From your message, I completely your confusion. When you've spoken with the repairs team, if you need us to check anything, just drop us a message on Twitter or Facebook. When you do message us, please include your Community username and select the 'Get Started' followed by 'Asked to DM' options to get connected to our team. 

Thanks. The saga continues. Just got off the phone to the repair team after I had a call earlier from Abraham stating that the phone should have been replaced. He told me to ring the repair team again and ask for a replacement. And that a replacement should have been offered as well as or alongside the option to repair. It's a business contract and citizens advice have said because its a business to business agreement and the original phone is not fit for purpose after such a short period that it should really be replaced

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Jamesp1721 

I've come across posts elsewhere as to the Fold³ and the factory fitted plastic tpu screen protector failing in various ways.

My Fold³ thus far is fine.

However when / if the tpu screen protector fails on mine my intention is to peel it away and refit a new one.

Removing the protector does not invalidate the 24 month manufacturers warranty and some people have decided to use their Fold³ without the protector.

The only caviat is that One has ro be careful when peeling it away so not to damage the screen underneath. 

Or go to a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre and have them take a look.

I wish all the best with your Fold³.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Ref: 1075108

Hello JAMES.

We got in touch to let you know that the device you've sent us for repair is out of warranty.

Unfortunately, this means we'll need to charge you for any work that we carry out. We're sorry for the bad news.

Don't worry, we won't go ahead until we hear from you – but you'll need to call our repair centre on 03333 040 956 by 5.30pm today to let us know what you'd like to do.

Otherwise, if we don't hear from you, we'll have to send your device back to you as it is.

Have insurance? It might be worth checking if you can claim for the repair.

Thank you

The Customer Care Team

hrym

I suspect that what's happened is that the repair department are classing this as accidental damage, which is why they're saying "out of warranty".  As as third party repairer, Vodafone aren't allowed to do warranty work if there's any evidence of (even suspected) accidental damage, but they also can't tell you that.  This has led to some ridiculous situations in the past where a small scratch has voided a warranty repair for something that is clearly unrelated.

You could pursue this with Vodafone, but it'll ultimately be quicker to go to Samsung themselves.   In the past, they've usually taken the pragmatic view and honoured the warranty if it's clearly appropriate to do so.   As the manufacturer, they allow themselves that discretion.  

The important thing, if you do this, is not to mention what Vodafone have said, or Samsung will accept the warranty void.

Everything is pointing towards the screen protector being the issue on the main screen. Loads of people on forums are having the same issue with delamination. What I don't understand is why vodafones repair centre wants to charge me £300+ for a new screen when the issue is the protector. The screen works fine the bubble is due to delamination!!! Still no phone and this has been going on since the 3rd

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Jamesp1721 

The same happened to my Fold 3.

Started as a small bubble near the bottom of the centre fold and then slowly continued up the centre fold.

I think it's a fact of the fold being folded and unfolded creating wear on tear on the Tpu factory fitted screen protector.

As the warranty isn't voided by removing it I carefully peeled mine off.

I have seen posts where Samsung have replaced the entire screen and hinge to replace the screen protector !!

I may or may not buy a 3rd party option.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.