Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Galaxy ZFold3 screen failure

Jamesp1721
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So. I bought a new fold 3 in November last year and a flip for my wife. We also have a galaxy tab s7 and home broadband all through Vodafone. 

Last week I closed the main folding screen on my fold and when I reopened it, it crunched and an air bubble appeared down the centre if the screen. I contacted Vodafone customer service (which I must say the automated system is a total nightmare and just kept sending me a text to go online! All I wanted was to speak to a human being) and when I finally got through I booked a collection to have the phone returned and sorted out. 

This morning I received an email claiming my phone was out of warranty. Strange as they come with a year warranty and the phone is only 3 months old. Contacted the repair centre only to be informed the LCD main folding screen is not covered. The person who I spoke to was particularly rude and condescending. I got transfered to another department who were more helpful but only to be told the same! How can a screen fail on a 3 month old device that had been kept in a genuine Samsung case (sent for free by Samsung as a promotional deal) and never dropped or abused (its an expensive device and I'm aware they aren't as tough as your average phone). I'm gobsmacked! Several forums I have been on report the same failure. Including an EE customer who had their phone replaced without question....

Vodafone have now told me I Nedd to go through Samsung. I didn't buy the device from Samsung so why are Vodafone trying to shirk responsibility for what is clearly a warranted issue on a handset they sold. Any help would be gratefully received. Already contacted trading standards.

Cheers

James

22 REPLIES 22

An update for my 2 month old Fold 3:

I have the exact same issue with my screen. I've spoken to VF and they had advised me that my phone is under warranty and to take it to one of their stores and they will replace the screen protector free of charge. 

I'll update you again once I've been to the store.

I just want the problem resolving and not willing to accept that I need to go to the manufacturer directly with a product vf sold me. Keep me posted on what resolution you manage to achieve please and thanks for the response 👍

Will do James. I'm going to the store after work today. I'll update you tonight. If I'm successful I will also ask at the store if you can just walk in with yours to any store without reporting it to VF support first. 

Speak soon.

That would be amazing and to be honest the only response I've wanted from vf but they've been a useless with it! The repair team were telling me ot needed a new screen!? Which I knew it didn't. The whole thing has been farsicle thus far. I'm already in contact with EE 

So I just got back from the VF store and guess what, they can't replace the screen protector. I had a feeling this was going to be the case. The annoying thing was I called twice and spoke 2 different people at VF (foreign call centre) and they both l told me to go to the store to get replaced. I then did a online chat and finally got through to tech support and after informing them in fine detail they also told me to go to the store and get it replaced.

So what's our options? This is what I'm thinking:

The first option would be to go a Samsung store and get it replaced. If you don't want the hassle of complaining then I've read that they charge 25 quid. You could contact them and arrange a collection, I've also read they do first replacement free as a gesture of good will.

Second option would be to buy a new screen protector and install yourself.

Or the third option which I might do, is remove it completely. Unlike the original Fold removing it will not invalidate your warranty which VF has confirmed and I've widely seen this online. If you are going to this, take your time and don't use any tools. 

Unfortunately Vodafone have not been very helpful and as for 3 different people telling me to go to a store, well all I can say is they need to update their system so it will stop other customers wasting time and money. 

Final update:

I removed the screen protector and its like a new phone!!! I may in the future go to a Samsung store and get one installed as I'm rubbish installing them myself.

My ZFold3 inner screen has just failed for the 2nd time. It was exactly as you described it, a cracking noise when I opened the phone.  The 1st time it was repaired and back with me in under a week, but this time they are stating impact damage. The phone has never been dropped and apart from the failed screen, is in perfect condition as it has never been out of the case.

VF and Samsung has been useless, so as our families contract bundles all finish this year, we will be leaving VF and as the phones need replacing, will be replacing them with non Samsung products

Maxella9843
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just had the same on a 6 week old Fold 4. I have been told that the LCD going black near to the camera is due to me pressing the screen too hard and will cost me £600. I was told i could go to Samsung who should resolve the problem for free, how does that work, a very poor service from a phone provider i have just joined

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Maxella9843 - This isn't the kind of first impression we want to give you. When a phone from us is faulty and it's still under warranty, we can send it for repair. If this has been done and it's come back to say how the screen has been damaged, we do sometimes offer to get a second opinion from the manufacturer if needed. If you'd like to discuss your options further or for us to check your account notes, then please get in touch with us on Social Media

Hello thank you for your reply, the screen isnt damaged its the pixels underneath. Can you advise what I am suppposed to do on Social media should Vodafone not be contacting me to discuss further ?