cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wi-fi calling: continuous notifications it's available - how to stop it?

cdl
4: Newbie

I have an unlocked Huawei P20 Pro, dual sim (CLT-L29). Wi-fi calling works with Vodafone, EE and Three, but Vodafone is the only network which causes constant notifications to pop-up on my phone, to let me know that wi-fi calling is available. I could maybe understand that a notification appears the first time I connect to a wi-fi network (even though no such notification appears with the other 2 mobile operators), but why I sometimes get 3 notifications in 5 minutes, when I am 2 metres from the wi-fi router and with a perfect wi-fi signal, is beyond me.

Does this happen to other people? Is it a Vodafone thing? Is it the combination of Vodafone + P20 Pro? Is there a way to stop it?

I limited it this way:

setting -> apps -> more -> show system processes -> phone -> notifications -> wi-fi calling and disable all the options (display in status bar, etc.)

but some notifications still filter through.

Thanks!

108 REPLIES 108

I have just upgraded to an S20 and have this issue. 

Interestingly I've had a struggle to get WiFi calling working on one that phone which is one of two identical S20's on my account. Yesterday a Vodafone tech finally (after 3 hours on the phone over several days) resolved the WiFi calling issue but now I get the repeated notifications.   However the other S20 with the same firmware/software versions that worked with WiFi calling without issue has not had any such notifications so this seems very likely to be a Vodafone problem.

Hi - I'd really love to know how you managed to get the Wi-fi calling working on the S20.

I've upgraded through Carphone Warehouse and I live somewhere with no service - this isn't a problem as I just use the wi-fi at home (hence why wi-fi calling is so important to me!).

I've spent a couple of hours on the phone to tech support and it's still not working. At first, I didn't have the wi-fi calling option at all in any of the three places it was supposed to be (in settings under 'connections', on the settings menu of the dialler and also on the quick settings). Now, it appears on the quick settings and dialler settings but it is not appearing under 'connections' in the main settings.

Anyway - with the options I have toggled 'on', it's still not working.

Vodafone's website says the S20 is not on the list of supported handsets. Carphone Warehouse are not letting me return my phone because I did an early upgrade (2 days early!!) so I'm in a now stuck with a phone that doesn't work where I am currently spending ALL my time! Any advice appreciated! 

Vodafone's approach to WiFi calling is terrible as they seems to think their coverage means it's unnecessary. I  too live somewhere with no mobile signal. 

I had a Nokia and went through the same hassle as you and was simply told it wasn't supported. The fact that an S20, a premium phone, is also not listed is crazy. 

Although too late for you my advice is to use EE as you network supplier

I've just managed to silence the notification on my P30 PRO
Settings->Apps->Apps

Menu->Show system processes

Phone Services->Notifications->Reminders->

Sound->Silent

Lock screen notifcations->Do not show

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Getting the same notifications on a SIM free Huiawei P40 Pro+

Still no idea why it's only Vodafone that has this issue with Huawei devices.

I followed a similar process on my Vodafone V10 Smart with a few small differences:

Settings;  Apps and notifications; see all apps; Menu (three dots at top); Show system; scroll down to phone services and tap; Notifications; tap on Wifi Calling; tap on Behaviour; Tap on Show Silently.

Seems to solve the constant notification sound!

Just to bump this thread. Whilst I have also managed to disable the sound...I am unable to remove the banner from my notification draw. It seems to sit there permanently telling me WIFI calling in on. I know this, because I turned it on. I also have the extra icon along the top of my screen.

There seems to be no way of hiding this banner, has anyone else managed to?

I am on a P20 Pro.

I've had to switch on wifi calling because my sure signal packed up and in any case Voda are withdrawing the service.  After a couple of hours of regular notification beeps every 3 or 4 minutes no matter what I did in settings, thanks to Marky wb above.  Silly of me to think of it as a notification, it's a reminder!  Who knew, and who would have though that a user would have found a solution that seems to have eluded Vodafone for months.

So - settings - apps - phone services - notifications - wi fi calling set to gentle notifications (I don't mind the banner) and go up  level and back down, separately set reminders to silent.

Huawei P30 (not pro), Android 10, unlocked and not sourced from Vodafone.  No vodafone app.

Signal is very patchy here, one side of the house I sometimes get '2 blobs' otherwise one or none.  We are in a cluster of 4 houses in a dead spot with full 4g only 25 yards away, and no network is going to invest in sorting that out. What I get seems to be enough to let SMS work, vital now that banks etc. use 2 step verification.  According to Voda, SMS over wifi won't work on my phone and certainly wont work on my wife's, nor does wi fi calling,  so we are likely to move elsewhere  now the sure signal is dead/withdrawn.  EE seem to be well ahead of the game with  functional wi fi calling and sms over wifi.

Thanks again for prompting me to look at reminders instead of notifications.  Who would have thought...:)

Other than changing networks... Has anyone found a workaround or a way of disabling these notifications? Vodafone says they're aware of the problem but don't believe it to be a widespread one. The best response I've had is by raising this issue via Vodafone's Twitter - if they see enough people with the same problem, maybe they'll do something about it.

I have had this problem develop on my Samsung S10, very recently. I have used the app to turn off wifi calling but I would rather have the wifi calling on but without the interminable 'messaging on wifi' message and icon. My menus don't look like the ones posted over the last few years.