Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4g on iPhone 5 handset

Mel74xxx
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi I recently upgraded from iPhone 5 to 6, my partner also has a Vodafone 4g contract but his mob is damaged so he is using my iPhone 5 handset now! Will his 4g still work on this? Surely the sim is 4g ready and the phone should work???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick for anyone reading this post.  4G is now available from Vodafone on the iPhone 5 :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, 

Phil

View solution in original position

34 REPLIES 34

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
The iPhone 5 is not 4G compatible and will never get a Vodafone 4G signal I'm afraid.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Is that correct? Mine received EE 4G and other operators have purchased that frequency.

Jeffkinn is correct... as are you.

The iPhone 5 will work on 4G for the 1800Mhz frequency (which EE, Three & now BT use), as the handset hardware has the required antenna to connect to this frequency.

If you have an iPhone 5 but are on Vodafone or O2 (who bid for and use the 800Mhz / 2600Mhz frequencies) then it won't work on 4G as it doesn't have the required antenna hardware.

As of the release of the 5S / 5C, all UK operators 4G frequencies were supported.

This Apple support link shows what handsets support what networks:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Phil

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick for anyone reading this post.  4G is now available from Vodafone on the iPhone 5 :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, 

Phil

That's great New Phil, I've tried calling the Vodafone support team for help activating 4g on my iPhone5 but despite 3 different calls I'm still not running 4g. In fact the last call I made the rep told me that it was only a slim chance that It would ever work. I have a new sim. 4g is turned on in settings. 

Could you detail the process to activate 4g please. 

The key thing here is that you need to be an area where there is 4G coverage.  Are you in such an area?

PWIAC

Yes, my girlfriend gets strong 4g signal all over our house. She uses an android handset but is on the same tariff as I am also with Vodafone.

I have a new sim, I've followed all the information given to me by the vodafone support team and made sure that 4g is activated on my handset. 

Hello @clockworkmoggy

Can you try inserting your girlfriends Vodafone SIM into your phone to see if you get the same 4G signal as her?

Louise

Unfortuatly not, the Sims are different sizes. I can use my sisters Sim to get 4G but that is on EE so doesn't really prove anything.