Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Home Broadband selective destinations connectivity/ping issues

Hobbit
3: Seeker

So last days I am having terrible problems with connectivity, strange thing is, that if I do a speedtest, I get perfect results. If I try to open webpages, all of them would open without a problem. BUT  if I try to ping or traceroute them then I have huge loss of packets. And also TWS trading app from Interactive Brokers keeps losing connectivity all the time. Interestingly enough when traceroute can't connect and pings are repeatedly returned loss I can load the webpage in the browser without an issue.

PingPingTracerouteTraceroute

I was able to reload the vodafone page any time I wanted while traceroute apparently struggled. Also the problem appears on different points of the route but many times right at the beginning at the: 

host-212-158-250-37.dslgb.com which makes me thing that this is the troublemaker:
Screenshot 2018-04-09 02.11.59.png

Skype calls sometime works fine, sometime gets totally screwed and again, at the same time the speedtest gives perfect results, but the pings are dire. Also if I use SIP over UPD I get disconnected after approximately 10-15 seconds. SIP over TCP works fine. I have the same problems with Windows laptop, Macbook, Android phone and iPhone, so it is definitely not device specific.
If I switch to mobile broadband from O2 all the problems are immediatelly gone, pings, SIP, skype, everything works flawlessly.
When I restart the router it works precisely for 128 pings (128 seconds) absolutely flawlessly (perfect ~40ms pings within 1 ms range difference, immediate traceroutes, TWS connected everything works) after which it starts again. 

Anyone has any idea what is going on?

1 REPLY 1

Hobbit

OK, so I partially "solved" the problem. It was OneDrive background uploads - but any upload will do. As soon as I start uploading some larger files it takes down the connectivity for many services. Downloads are no issue whatsoever the capacity will balance for every stream even if I try several downloads at once, pings are impacted in terms of single miliseconds. Uploads would take them completely down. This doesn't sound right to me.