Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How do I know it is Vodafone calling?

glynnroche
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Had a call from "Vodafone" asking to talk to discuss offers they want to offer to me.

Was asked to identify myself with the usual question.

Declined to answer and asked the caller to confirm they were actually from Vodafone before going any further. The agent, Jade, offered to send me an SMS as proof it was genuinely Vodafone calling. This is what I got:

20151117 Screenshot_2015-11-17-16-03-39.png

Hardly proof that this is genuinely Vodafone when every other message I get from Voda is headed Vodafone and not VodafoneUK. Call went no further as I ran out of time and no call back at the time I offered to be available.

So the question is. Is this really Vodafone calling?

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@glynnroche wrote:

Had a call from "Vodafone" asking to talk to discuss offers they want to offer to me.

Declined to answer and asked the caller to confirm they were actually from Vodafone before going any further. The agent, Jade, offered to send me an SMS as proof it was genuinely Vodafone calling. This is what I got:

Hardly proof that this is genuinely Vodafone when every other message I get from Voda is headed Vodafone and not VodafoneUK. Call went no further as I ran out of time and no call back at the time I offered to be available.

G

Hi

Vodafone call from specific numbers. 

These numbers are ->

Is-it-Vodafone-calling.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

chrisb84
4: Newbie
Texts from Vodafone UK come from just Vodafone in my experience. The last time they text it came from number +44 863 23663, customer service survey after I called them.

You should be ok so long as you don't give them any information. They should already have it in front of them if they're from Vodafone so should only ask you to confirm parts of the information and not all of it. For the example the 2nd and 4th characters of a password is harmless but providing the whole thing would be risky.

If unsure ask for their extension that you can contact them back on then ring 191 and ask to be put through.

BandOfBrothers

@glynnroche wrote:

G

Hi

Vodafone call from specific numbers. 

These numbers are ->

Is-it-Vodafone-calling.

Current Phone  >

Thanks. In which case it was Vodafone sales based on the calling number.

The SMS message made the interchange feel less authentic which is interesting.

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome. 

I applaud you for being cautious. 

Always better being safe than sorry. 

Also i personally do not engage or commit to anything from a cold call. I listen and take notes and then do some homework on what's available although on the flip side offers sometimes have a time constraint on them so may not be available at a later date. 

Current Phone  >

Offers being offered to you on a time constraint doe's in my book amount to pressure selling, especially if the offer is only for a very short period of time, such as 24 hours or just a few days.

I never partake in 'customer surveys' otherwise you get bombarded with 'offers'. There are deals to be made at any time, there's no need to be under any sort of pressure. 

Nabs

@glynnroche as an extra security step you can have a PIN added to your account that the caller has to give you. I've got this set up on my account and I always ensure that the caller gives me that PIN before I answer any of their questions. 

Customer services should be able to set this up for you

Excellent, thank you.

Thanks for the link to the list.

I can now answer with confidence now and know it's vodafone calling rather than some random company or fraudster after my details.