Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 4g abroad

amh13
4: Newbie

Hi, I have been in italy for 3 days now and I cannot get 4g on my phone. Only 3g. I have tried forcing my phone onto Vodafone IT 4G, but it only goes to No Service before reverting back to 3G. I am near switzerland so I tried selecting swiss operators, but I had the same issue, even though there is strong 4G signal. I have spoken about 5 times in the chat, and they reset my 4g settings, checked my account, but nothing. I also tried the sim in different devices, but again - only 3g. Whenever I enter an area with 4g coverage, my phone goes to No Service for about 5 minutes before going back to 3g again. I have performed a network reset on my device, i have taken the sim out for 30 minutes, restarted the phone, but the issue remains. 3G is very slow here because it is a touristy area and speeds often drop below 1mbit. I tried a local Vodafone IT sim card, and my phone immediately connected to 4G with a full signal and excellent data speeds.

49 REPLIES 49

Hi, I have also been having the same issue for 2-3 days now. On both my numbers. The only way I get 4g is by setting my phone to "LTE only", however this means that I can't receive calls. I still loose service about once every 1-2hours and have to toggle airplane mode, then it works. 

This issue is specific to Italy, because I was in Switzerland all morning and 4g worked perfectly on both phones. As soon as I got back into Italy, I stayed on 4g for about an hour, then No Service/3g until I locked the phone onto 4g only again. 

No 4g at all today, it has completely stopped working. 

I don't think this is an issue with my account, I think it is more a problem between Vodafone IT and Vodafone UK. 

Still no 4g whatsoever on Vodafone IT, however Swisscom and Sunrise connected immediately to 4g (I'm near the border). If I then try to reselect Vodafone IT, I get no service and then only 3g.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Apologies that you're continuing to experience issues with your 4G @amh13.

I've been unable to locate an email from the address registered to your Community profile.

So we can check on the progress of this for you, please let us know the reference number you received when you submitted your details to us. This will look similar to #12345678.

Alternatively, if this is now being handled with our Customer Relations team, please contact them directly and they'll be happy to assist further.

Hi, I have tried to use the online form many times, from different email addresses and browsers, but I never received any reference number.

Anyway, the issue seems to have been resolved since yesterday, 4g is connecting without any issues. The issue now is the speed, which seems to be strongly throttled (I mentioned this in another thread)

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@amh13 I'm sorry to see you've experienced issues when submitting your details to us.

I'm glad to see that you're now able to connect to your 4G.

So we can look into your speeds further for you, please try the following steps when following the link provided previously:

• Clear your cache and cookies on the device you're using.
  • Try a different device or send your email using a different web browser.
  • Try an alternative email address.
  • Manually type your email address into the box when prompted, rather than copy and paste and also include the routing code.
  • Ensure your message is under 2500 characters.

Please keep us updated with how you get on.

Dear Vodafone Community moderation team,

I hope it is all right for me to barge in, since I happen to have a similar problem:

4G does not work for me at all while roaming, in two countries where this service is supposed to work for Vodafone UK customers (Germany and Spain, cf. http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/4g-network/index.htm#4gabroad ).

Please note that I do use a 4G/LTE-enabled handset (Samsung S7 ["SM-G930F"]). That particular handset has been successfully used by me to access other 4G networks in these countries. Please also note that a 4G coverage issue (i.e. on the part on the respective local roaming partner) can certainly be ruled out, as the lack of 4G coverage I experienced was complete and not just temporary or local. (3G reception and throughput is fine.)

I am a PAYG customer, having only recently activated my SIM card and being on a "Big Value" bundle.

Any help would be appreciated. Is it necessary/advisable to contact the General Support team ( http://www.vodafone.co.uk/contact-us/ ) or the Complaints Department ( https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/complaints/ )?

Regards,

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@agire I'm sorry to see you've recently had issues with your 4G coverage.

As you've stated you've only recently activated your SIM card, this could be related to 4G not being activated on your account. So we're able to check on this for you, please contact us using the link in the private message I've sent. 

Sorry to butt -in on this topic , but I'd just like to put a positive vibe on it.

I was worried about service in Europe , but after a 4 day break in Berlin last week , I must say the reception and use of my one+2 was near perfect with Vodafone, just as good as UK.

A happier customer :Smiling:

Dazz

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dazz65 Thanks for taking the time to let us know, it's really appreciated! 

I'm glad to see that you were able to easily use your plan whilst away in Berlin and I do hope you had a lovely time 🙂✈️