Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Premium rate scam

aq66
2: Seeker

Hi 

I have been targeted by a premium rate scam where I am being charged £4.50 per week for I don't know what. the reference is "MyConte02037403517" - has anyone else had this?  I have called the number on my bill and it is just a messaging service which says I will be called back in 48 hours. I am still being charged. Vodafone have blocked my number from receiving anything from other premium rate companies however they cannot cancel the charges. I am not receiving any text messages etc so I cannot reply saying "STOP ALL" as you can with others.

Has anyone else had this and successfully stopped it without having to get a new number?!

Thanks

42 REPLIES 42

In my case customer service3s got it cancelled.  I would be surprised if it was by a call because when i phoned the company it a general answering servicing who said they would forward the request on.  I did not here back from them.  These companies are stealing money and the phone networks are making it easy for them.  Even these so called texts that compnaies send to "thank you for subscribing" did not apply in my case as the tablet was data only

At the very least

1 The premium rate bar should apply by default on all phones unless they ask to move it

2 There should be further differentiation on the bar, I can understand why someone may want to enter a competition for example, one call £1.00 perhaps so should be possible say to do this but still ban premium rate subscriptions if someone wants that

3 There should be an  opt in required to subscribe to these subscription services if for some reason someone actually wants to pay £4.50 a week for games (impossible to get free games on the internet)  wether this be your vodafone password pin number or whatever the system should be set up that you actively subscribe

Too many people are being scammed,  in a lot of cases it may only be a few pounds before they catch on and they then get it cancelled, it is theft but probably do not report it.  It other cases it is a lot more,  Vodafone and other networks need to address it.  Even turning on the premium rate bar as default would be a big help

TJ, my point is I can't unsubcribe from a service when I didn't subscribe in the first place. I don't know how it's happened or who it's with so without Vodafone's help I can't cancel it. I've managed to track down one of the providers and they have promised to refund £15 but looking online I can see examples of that and the refund never seems to appear. There is one service left that I'm still being charged for and I have no idea how to stop it. The charge I had after you'd supposedly applied the bar does offer a STOP option but when I go to send the text it warns me it carries a charge and I don't know how much that charge is so I'm not doing it. I phoned your complaints team who offered to refund £10 but I can still see £3 on my bill from the 20th, AFTER you applied the bar, and I'm pretty sure I'll get more charges soon. I am not doing this and someone has my details. 

Mediterraneou

Check their number, 02037403517 on  PSA ( phone paid services authority ) and make complaint