Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone connect router DHCP settings

mattman
4: Newbie

I have posted this into off topic as I can not see any reference to Vodafone Home phone and Broadband.

I have install the router and all is working but there one thing that is missing from the setting of the VDSL router that being a function to turn off DHCP, I have for the pasted 10 year had my own network running at home with a fully working server that is my DHCP & DNS server but for the first time in history I have just sign up for 18 month and got a bloody router that has no function in the GUI settings pages to turn OFF the DHCP server. So for now I will have to wait for 18 months before I can change ISP. thanks vodafone tech team for missing this one. If there is anyone out there that can offer me a firmware update to give me the function to turn OFF DHCP then please post it.

602 REPLIES 602

wilmer000
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Thanks Rahim, Is there any answer to the questions posed in this thread, though?

stevendq
February!! 😞 wonder if it'll also resolve the poor DNS times and the random router crashing under load. 😞

mattman
Let's hope the update fixes lots of issues.

Unfortunately it can't fix the "company Policy " of not giving out the creds to use your own choice of equipment.... I've moved my business to someone who does. 

I do find it very odd the stance that is taken with regards to the connection credentials, especially as no one except Sky does this so its not a popular business model.

On the one hand I can absoloutely understand that standardising on equipment will lead to a lower cost of support for Vodafone. Easier to train people to troubleshoot, less time wasted diagnosing issues that are not to do with Vodafoen but introduced by the customer etc.

However not enough features have been crippled in the router to make it infallible. A user logging in via the app or web interface can do enough damage with setting IP addresses and DMZs to create difficult to diagnose problems for support. So why not provide the ability to specify DHCP ranges then?

I guess somewhere there are some statistics on the proportion of problems raised for a typical ISP as a result of the user's own equipment and this was a factor in the decision.

The silly thing is that people who buy their own routers tend to know what they're doing to a certian extent. They also know if they have an issue the first thing to do is plug back in the ISP provided kit and ensure the problem is still exhibited before getting support.

I'd prefer it if we could use our own kit but were categorically told there's no support for your service unless you use Vodafone provided kit. ISPs do this with customers and BT Openreach in terms of saying "if the fault is with your internal wiring you're getting charged if an engineer comes out".

Intersting. I haven;t even gotten my service yet and already the router looks like a pain. (Should have been on on the 10th, is now going to be the 5th of January due to a a tree ripping out the drop cable, and openreach being godawful when it comes to timescales, and/or voda being unwilling to push the issue.)

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone,

We don't have any further information other than what's on our statement.

We'll update this as and when new details become available.

markcoley

Going back to the original question, what happens if you allocated fictitious MAC addresses to all available IP addresses in your subnet? Would your other DHCP server then get a look in? Presumably the Vodafone router would be unable to allocate an IP address and leave it for something else to do this.

Whilst having multiple DHCP servers on the same subnet is possible, usually it's only really used to provide redundancy in case of failure.  

DHCP is simple in it's operation, a client broadcasts a discovery request and the first DHCP server to respond is the winner and allocates an address.

To make two DHCP servers work reliably in the way you suggest you would need control of the address pool that both DHCP servers allocate. If that's possible then your theory may just work.

Makelo
12: Established
12: Established

Double post  :-

Reading another post on broadband and soupdragon posted a link to a manual for the Vodafone router.  https://www.business.vodafone.com/download/getFmlDoc.do?docId=56c7ff84-0ac2-4576-9ac7-39709168a7cb

Remembering this thread about DNS and DHCP and lack of controls, then reading the manual for the router and on Page 8 it shows controls for turning DHCP on or off and the range of addresses to allocate.

It also shows controls for DNS on page 7, whether to use default or your own choice of DNS servers.

To anyone with a Vodafone router, is the manual correct in that these controls are available? in which case has there been an update to the firmware?

Or, is the manual incorrect and these settings are not available as stated in this thread?